[AMA ENDED] Per-Device Licensing AMA with ShawnR, post your questions here!

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

[AMA ENDED] Per-Device Licensing AMA with ShawnR, post your questions here!

UDPATE: this AMA has ended. Thanks to everyone who asked questions! Any additional questions on per-device licensing can be posted here!

My name is Shawn and I am a Product Manager at Cisco Meraki. I am excited to answer any questions that you have around per-device licensing. Post here any questions you have regarding how per-device licensing works, how you can transition, how you order licenses, etc are all great topics.

I'll be answering questions on December 11th from 9am to 12pm PST, but feel free to start posting your questions now!

In the meantime, here are some great resources to learn more about per-device licensing at Meraki!

Per-device licensing overview 

Per-device licensing walkthrough video 

The science behind per-device licensing 

32 REPLIES 32
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've recently spoke with @MerakiShawn , but I do have one question.  What are you the product manage of?

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@PhilipDAth I am a Product Manager on the Cloud team here at Meraki. We're responsible for frontend UX, data science, the API platform, and cloud infrastructure. Specifically, I look after frontend UX, data science/analytics, and pieces of our cloud infrastructure. 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

For starters 😊🍻

What is the target reason for this licensing change/offer?

Is this to help Providers or Clients more?

Will the current licensing ever go EOL?

Can you move per device licenses between orgs?

Can you demonstrate how this licensing is beneficial for partners and clients?

Can you give us ideal use cases for this licensing?

It seems like the licensing is more expensive than current licensing, is that because its more flexible?

This sounds like licensing hell, prove me wrong!

When will the "cosmetic" issue regarding the license warning for a warm spare MX be fixed?

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/Per-device-licensing-and-MX-warm-spare/m-p/...

All right, here it goes:

• What exactly happens when a license runs out, from an end-user perspective? Is it the same for all product groups? Will a switch stop switching? Is a warning page shown to the end-users?
  • When rolling out big networks. Do we have a lot of work to assign a license to each device, or is that automated?
  • The upgrade tool to convert between license types (e.g. MS225-48P to MS355-48X) is that a tool that's available to the public/partner?
  • When you have entered the grace-period and add the license afterwards, the spent grace days are subtracted. What if you remove and re-add the device to the network first?
  • Did I understand correctly that if a device is decommissioned from the network, its remaining license time cannot be added to another device's running license? Clients that move to Wi-Fi first often have a shrinking switch park... So that would mean they are obliged to let those licenses burn rather than stacking them on top of the remaining switches?
  • Are there any restrictions about moving licenses between orgs (other than needing to be admin in both networks)?
  • Can we start preparing the configuration without applying the licenses? E.g. adding the devices to the networks, configuring their parameters.
  • Is there an option to inform a client's Cisco partner about (upcoming) expirations without them needing to have a read-only account to the organization?

Note:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing_FAQs -> A couple of FAQ's are doubled: e.g. How does support relate to licensing?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@BrechtSchamp wrote:
  • Is there an option to inform a client's Cisco partner about (upcoming) expirations without them needing to have a read-only account to the organization?

Very curious about this one. I'd like it for both licensing models. The current solution is not great when we've sold equipment that we don't manage, but the client still expects us to track their expirations. I'd prefer to not have access to that level of information about somebody's kit.

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@Nash wrote:

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

Very curious about this one. I'd like it for both licensing models. The current solution is not great when we've sold equipment that we don't manage, but the client still expects us to track their expirations. I'd prefer to not have access to that level of information about somebody's kit.

Currently, there is not. We've released several new API endpoints that allow you to get license/device inventory and state that can be leveraged, but we do not have anything native to Meraki or dashboard at the moment. This is something we're interested in, but do not have a formal plan around at this time. 

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

All right, here it goes:

• What exactly happens when a license runs out, from an end-user perspective? Is it the same for all product groups? Will a switch stop switching? Is a warning page shown to the end-users?
  • When rolling out big networks. Do we have a lot of work to assign a license to each device, or is that automated?
  • The upgrade tool to convert between license types (e.g. MS225-48P to MS355-48X) is that a tool that's available to the public/partner?
  • When you have entered the grace-period and add the license afterwards, the spent grace days are subtracted. What if you remove and re-add the device to the network first?
  • Did I understand correctly that if a device is decommissioned from the network, its remaining license time cannot be added to another device's running license? Clients that move to Wi-Fi first often have a shrinking switch park... So that would mean they are obliged to let those licenses burn rather than stacking them on top of the remaining switches?
  • Are there any restrictions about moving licenses between orgs (other than needing to be admin in both networks)?
  • Can we start preparing the configuration without applying the licenses? E.g. adding the devices to the networks, configuring their parameters.

Note:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing_FAQs -> A couple of FAQ's are doubled: e.g. How does support relate to licensing?

@BrechtSchamp 

• What exactly happens when a license runs out, from an end-user perspective? Is it the same for all product groups? Will a switch stop switching? Is a warning page shown to the end-users? When a license expired on a device, it will go into a 30 day grace period. Customers will be notified of this on the Licensing & inventory page in dashboard (Organization -> License info). If the customer does not remove the license from a network, it will be deactivated. So for switches, they will stop switching, APs will stop serving wireless, security appliances will stop routing/passing traffic, cameras stop recording, etc. For Systems Manager, the customer will no longer be able to enroll devices or update devices that are currently enrolled. For products such as Meraki Insight, the product will simply no longer be available in dashboard to use. 
  • When rolling out big networks. Do we have a lot of work to assign a license to each device, or is that automated? If you have an order with matching licenses and hardware, Meraki will provide the option to 'auto-assign' the licenses to devices in the order. If you skip that step or want to assign later, you do have to assign licenses to the devices/networks at a later date. We've built 'bulk actions' that allow you to take a single action on multiple devices (e.g. assign 500 3-year licenses to devices) in a couple of clicks. You can read more about that here. We're looking for ways to make this process easier for our customers, so be on the lookout! 
  • The upgrade tool to convert between license types (e.g. MS225-48P to MS355-48X) is that a tool that's available to the public/partner? This tool is not currently available.
  • When you have entered the grace-period and add the license afterwards, the spent grace days are subtracted. What if you remove and re-add the device to the network first? If you remove the device from the network before the grace period starts, you will not be penalized when you add it back in. So, if the license expires on 1/1 and you remove it from the network on 1/1, then add it back in 1/10 with a new license, we will not subtract the time from the license. If you do leave it in the network, we will take the 9 days back. 
  • Did I understand correctly that if a device is decommissioned from the network, its remaining license time cannot be added to another device's running license? Clients that move to Wi-Fi first often have a shrinking switch park... So that would mean they are obliged to let those licenses burn rather than stacking them on top of the remaining switches? Correct. If a license is active (burning) it cannot be used to 'stack' on top of another license/device that is active. So, if you have 2 APs with 6 months of licenses remaining, you cannot decommission one of the APs, take the 6 months of licensing, and add it to the first AP to get a year.  
  • Are there any restrictions about moving licenses between orgs (other than needing to be admin in both networks)? Both organizations must be using per-device licensing. Org read/write admins. 
  • Can we start preparing the configuration without applying the licenses? E.g. adding the devices to the networks, configuring their parameters. You can, but the devices will be in their grace period. So, when you do add a license, the time is subtracted based on the number of days the device was in the network. 
  • Is there an option to inform a client's Cisco partner about (upcoming) expirations without them needing to have a read-only account to the organization? Currently, there is not. We've released several new API endpoints that allow you to get license/device inventory and state that can be leveraged, but we do not have anything native to Meraki or dashboard at the moment. This is something we're interested in, but do not have a formal plan around at this time. 
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@CptnCrnch wrote:

When will the "cosmetic" issue regarding the license warning for a warm spare MX be fixed?

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/Per-device-licensing-and-MX-warm-spare/m-p/...

We're aiming to have them all resolved by the end of next week! A couple fixes have already been deployed, but there are a couple more we're tackling now. 

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@SoCalRacer wrote:

For starters 😊🍻

It seems like the licensing is more expensive than current licensing, is that because its more flexible?

Great questions! 

As Meraki has grown, customer needs have grown and changed as well. We've received feedback from customers and partners that while the current implementation of co-term is great, it breaks down for their use cases/business.

For customers, partners, MSPs that want to be able to manage expiration dates separately from one another, per device licensing allows them to achieve that. For example, I own 10 coffee shops and they each run their own P&L. I provide them the management service, but they need to pay for their hardware & licenses independent of one another. So, when coffee shop A purchases three years of licensing, they want the full three years of licensing. And when coffee shop B purchases three years, they want their full three years. In the current co-termination model, this does not work and causes pain for several customers. With the release of per-device licensing, customers are able to easily manage these types of scenarios. Service Providers with many customers/contracts, education systems with multiple schools, retail customers with multiple stores/warehouses/HQs, etc.

Another common use case we've seen is that customers/partners like to have different expiration dates for different products. So, in per-device you're now able to purchase 5 years for your access points and 7 years for your switches. In the current co-term implementation, these licenses would get blended together and the customer may not receive the full 7 years of licenses for their switches as they anticipated.

If you are referring to providers as service providers and clients as their clients, I would say Providers. Their clients aren't meant to manage Meraki licenses, rather they have a contract with their Provider for X amount of years. But, if you are a Provider and have 100 clients, each with different start/end dates, it is difficult to manage that in the current co-termination implementation as you have a shared expiration date. Now, in per-device the start/end date of the Meraki licenses match those of the contract start/end date with their Clients.

For our customers who really like the way we have co-termination currently implemented, we are not forcing them to move over and are telling them to sit tight. In typical Meraki fashion, we've released per-device licensing, but we're not done. Our goal is to get this into our partners/customers hands and get all the feedback we can. We want to understand the gaps in features and functionality, the pain points they're facing with per-device, etc. We can take that and continue to build on per-device licensing to make it better for our customers.

Remember, this is just the beginning, there are many features and improvements to come! If the current implementation of the co-term model works for you, stay with it.

Yes! If you have two organizations using per-device licensing, you can move licenses between them in the dashboard UI or via API.

Refer to the response to your first question.

Also -- several customers/partners desire a specific or more predictable license expiration date. So, they want all their Meraki devices to expire on X date. In the current implementation of co-termination, this is very difficult, or near impossible. In per-device licensing, 1+1 = 2. So, if you have 2 months remaining on a device and you purchase a 3-year renewal, you know that the device will be licensed for 3 years and 2 months. Or, if you want your new devices to expire on the same existing date as your existing devices you are able to do that leveraging the new 1-day licenses.

See the answer to your first question.

In a nutshell, any customer/partner who is looking to manage individual expiration dates across their Meraki deployment.

In addition, we have great new features that are exclusive to per-device licensing.

• 90 day activation window: We are giving customers up to 90 days to claim and assign their licenses before the time starts to tick on a device.
  • Individual device shutdowns: If there is a licensing issue (license has expired, no license applied) only the device/feature is deactivated, not your entire Meraki organization
  • Move licenses between organizations: You don't have to call into Meraki Support to move licenses between organizations anymore. It can be done via the dashboard UI or API.

Customers purchase the same license SKUs regardless of the model their currently using. We did introduce 1-day licenses specific to per-device licensing which is our current solution to maintain a shard expiration date or 'truing up' to a specific expiration date (if the customer wishes to do so). These licenses do come at a cost (e.g. they're not 1/365th the price of a 1-year license). All the other licenses (1,3,5,7, and 10 years) remain the same.

We've been listening to our customers over the years. They have been asking for a more flexible way to manage their Meraki licenses and that is what we have set out to provide.

As mentioned above, for those customers/partners who love how co-termination is currently implemented, sit tight and stay tuned!

tdj7397
Here to help

@MerakiShawn This isn't related to per-device licensing. But I am held up on a big project and we're stuck on a licensing problem. We had a trial offer sent for a set of devices and we had the trial period extended until later in February. However in the dashboard where these devices are provisioned it only shows the original expiration date. When Meraki Account Manager extends a trial license is there something that has to be done manually to initiate the extension? A new license key to be entered or anything? I can't find much online in regards to trial/demo licensing and I've emailed our Meraki rep(s) but haven't heard back yet. Do you happen to know any details on this? Or am I going to need to open a support ticket in the mean time?

Tanner Johnson, ITILv4, ECMS1
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@tdj7397 wrote:

@MerakiShawn This isn't related to per-device licensing. But I am held up on a big project and we're stuck on a licensing problem. We had a trial offer sent for a set of devices and we had the trial period extended until later in February. However in the dashboard where these devices are provisioned it only shows the original expiration date. When Meraki Account Manager extends a trial license is there something that has to be done manually to initiate the extension? A new license key to be entered or anything? I can't find much online in regards to trial/demo licensing and I've emailed our Meraki rep(s) but haven't heard back yet. Do you happen to know any details on this? Or am I going to need to open a support ticket in the mean time?

When your account manager extends the free trial, it should show up in the your dashboard once it has been approved/processed. If you are not seeing the update, I suggest reaching out to Meraki Support and they should be able to assit! 

nikiwaibel
Getting noticed

The 100 free Systems Manager Agent licenses need to be remove when switching, or stay with co-termination. This can't be a technical decision, right?

DarkStar
Getting noticed

I switched to Per-Device after reading a lot about it and watching the videos on line. I believe the system converted my dashboard incorrectly. Do I need to work with support on this or have you discovered bugs and waiting a few days will clear up issues. Example: I have a MX84 with 5 years I just purchased and I have 5 WAPs but 10 licenses. My dashboard before the upgrade was going to expire in about 18 months. When I converted to Per-Device I thought all the devices would switch to what there expire dates are. i.e. the MX84 would expire in just less than 5 years and the WAPs would use a license that has about 1 year each left on them. But what happened is everything was converted to 1 year expiration on all devices, this is NOT what I want. Just purchased 5 years on the MX84 and I don't want to have to buy more licensing for it. How do we fix this? 

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@DarkStar wrote:

I switched to Per-Device after reading a lot about it and watching the videos on line. I believe the system converted my dashboard incorrectly. Do I need to work with support on this or have you discovered bugs and waiting a few days will clear up issues. Example: I have a MX84 with 5 years I just purchased and I have 5 WAPs but 10 licenses. My dashboard before the upgrade was going to expire in about 18 months. When I converted to Per-Device I thought all the devices would switch to what there expire dates are. i.e. the MX84 would expire in just less than 5 years and the WAPs would use a license that has about 1 year each left on them. But what happened is everything was converted to 1 year expiration on all devices, this is NOT what I want. Just purchased 5 years on the MX84 and I don't want to have to buy more licensing for it. How do we fix this? 

@DarkStar When you convert to per-device licensing, we take your current co-termination date, generate licenses with that expiration date and apply it to the devices in your organization. You can read more about the process here.

If all your licenses/devices are not expiring on the same date as your co-termination date (before you converted), you should reach out to our support team and they should be able to assist. If you just purchased the new MX84s and APs, you could have converted to per-device licensing and then claimed/added the new MX84s and APs. That way, you would have received the full 5 years for the new devices and the existing licenses/devices would have 18 months remaining.  

It sounds like you added/claimed the new MXs and MRs before converting to per-device licensing which is why your expiration date is the way it is. My suggestion is to reach out to our support team and they should be able to get you straightened out. 

@DarkStar I know I'm not Meraki but do know this topic well...

As per Meraki documentation and walkthrough video available at  https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Per-Device_Licensing_Overv..."When a customer opts into per-device licensing, Meraki will take their current organization expiration date and apply it across all the devices within the organization. If there are extra license(s), an additional license(s) will be generated with the same expiration date."

As a possible workaround if you purchased the MX84 5-year license less than 30 days ago maybe try to do an RMA for it then re-purchase. New territory on that though so not sure how Meraki would deal with this situation or what their policy would be on that one. If more than 30 days then Meraki has converted your expiry dates correctly so you may be stuck as  I do know that one you go Per Device Licensing Model you never go back. Before attempting the RMA process I would confirm with Meraki support if it will achieve what you are wanting. 

CHARTER
Forward, Together
JasonSnyder
Here to help

Hi Shawn, thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

What target group of customers is this new change directed towards?

We have AP's, Cameras, Switches, and an MX. 8 networks, and a lot of users (2500-3000). I am wondering how the per-device license model will help or benefit us.

Also, is it possible to have both Co-Term and Per-Device in the same org? 

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@JasonSnyder wrote:

Hi Shawn, thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

We have AP's, Cameras, Switches, and an MX. 8 networks, and a lot of users (2500-3000). I am wondering how the per-device license model will help or benefit us.

Hi @JasonSnyder --

tl;dr per-device licensing is for customers who want more flexibility in how they manage their licenses and expiration dates. 

For customers, partners, MSPs that want to be able to manage expiration dates separately from one another, per device licensing allows them to achieve that. For example, I own 10 coffee shops and they each run their own P&L. I provide them the management service, but they need to pay for their hardware & licenses independent of one another. So, when coffee shop A purchases three years of licensing, they want the full three years of licensing. And when coffee shop B purchases three years, they want their full three years. In the current co-termination model, this does not work and causes pain for several customers. With the release of per-device licensing, customers are able to easily manage these types of scenarios. Service Providers with many customers/contracts, education systems with multiple schools, retail customers with multiple stores/warehouses/HQs, etc.

Another common use case we've seen is that customers/partners like to have different expiration dates for different products. So, in per-device you're now able to purchase 5 years for your access points and 7 years for your switches. In the current co-term implementation, these licenses would get blended together and the customer may not receive the full 7 years of licenses for their switches as they anticipated.

Are you looking to manage separate expiration dates per network/site or product family? For example, if you want network A to have exactly 5 years of licensing for all their devices and network B to have exactly 5 years of licensing, per-device enables you to do that. Instead of co-term where your expiration date is calculated based on the type and duration of the licenses you claimed in your organization. 

Even if you don't wish to manage separate expiration dates per network, per-device offers other great features. The top two that come to mind for your situation are: 

• 90 day activation window: You have up to 90 days to claim and assign their licenses before the time starts to tick on a device.
  • Individual device shutdowns: If there is a licensing issue (license has expired, no license applied) only the device/feature is deactivated, not your entire Meraki organization

Currently, no. An organization has to be on per-device licensing or co-termination. You can still maintain a shared expiration date in per-device licensing. Currently, we're offering 1-day licenses to allow customers to maintain a shared expiration date among all their devices, networks or organization or to 'true-up' to a specific expiration date. So, if you wish to have everything expire 12/31/2023, you are able to 'true-up' to that date leveraging 1-day licenses from Meraki. 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Off-Topic:

Lizzo or Cardi?

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Off-Topic:

Lizzo or Cardi?

@SoCalRacer  Can't say I am a big fan of either... but Lizzo if I had to choose one! 

AllanS
Comes here often

My Organizational dashboard has multiple network (15) in total, currently the co-term license date is for the entire organization, will the new licence structure allow for a co-term date for each individual network.  If so how to we accomplish the per network co-term licence.

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@AllanS wrote:

My Organizational dashboard has multiple network (15) in total, currently the co-term license date is for the entire organization, will the new licence structure allow for a co-term date for each individual network.  If so how to we accomplish the per network co-term licence.

@AllanS 

When you convert to per-device licensing, all your devices will have the same expiration date as your current co-termination date. You can read more about that here

When you start adding more devices or renewing licenses is when you may start having separate expiration dates. For example, if your co-termination date is 1/1/2021 all your devices will expire on that date when you convert. If you add more devices on 1/1/2020 with a 3-year license, the new devices will expire 1/1/2023 and the others will still expire on 1/1/2020.

If everything in your network expires on a single date (which it will when you convert) you can simply purchase a 1,3,5,7 or 10 year renewal for all those devices and apply them. You will still maintain a single, shared expiration date. If you're adding devices to a network or want to 'true-up' to a specific expiration date, our current solution is 1-day licenses. So, you can purchase and apply 1-day licenses to true-up to a specific expiration date or to the expiration date of your existing licenses.  

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Can you do a trial on per device licensing for a net new client?

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Can you do a trial on per device licensing for a net new client?

Yes --- free trials are available in per-device licensing. We will be released updated documentation soon. No changes in the process to get a free trial from your Meraki Sales Rep. 

Bossnine
Building a reputation

Based on eRate funding and funding in general I do feel this new model will be easier to manage from a financial standpoint, not so much from an inventory stand point as its more like Smartnet but I do understand the change.

My question, I have currently 6 extra WAP licenses in my dashboard that I don't currently have AP's to use them (for whatever reason).

What will become of those licenses?

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@Bossnine wrote:

Based on eRate funding and funding in general I do feel this new model will be easier to manage from a financial standpoint, not so much from an inventory stand point as its more like Smartnet but I do understand the change.

My question, I have currently 6 extra WAP licenses in my dashboard that I don't currently have AP's to use them (for whatever reason).

What will become of those licenses?

@Bossnine 

My question, I have currently 6 extra WAP licenses in my dashboard that I don't currently have AP's to use them (for whatever reason). Meraki will generate individual licenses and place them in your license inventory. They can be assigned to an unlicensed (e.g. new) device. They cannot be assigned to a device that has an active, burning license. You can read more here

MichelPrevost
Here to help

Hi, Will the licences will be specific for the model APs with per devices licencing or will it be as it is now where an AP licence is good for any model?

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@MichelPrevost wrote:

Hi, Will the licences will be specific for the model APs with per devices licencing or will it be as it is now where an AP licence is good for any model?

Nope -- The licenses and SKUs stay the same regardless of the model. 

MichelPrevost
Here to help

I work for a big telco compagnie and we have the habit to claim devices using the Meraki Order Number who claim in the same time the licences. The licences itself may not be used at the moment as I only need the gears inventory to start planning my deployment. Will the licences start date will be the date that I claim it with the Meraki Order Number or the date that I assign it to a device? In short, can the licences be claimed in the dashboard and start been consumed only 90days later or when it is assign to a device?

MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@MichelPrevost wrote:

I work for a big telco compagnie and we have the habit to claim devices using the Meraki Order Number who claim in the same time the licences. The licences itself may not be used at the moment as I only need the gears inventory to start planning my deployment. Will the licences start date will be the date that I claim it with the Meraki Order Number or the date that I assign it to a device? In short, can the licences be claimed in the dashboard and start been consumed only 90days later or when it is assign to a device?

In short, can the licences be claimed in the dashboard and start been consumed only 90days later or when it is assign to a device?

When you assign the license. You can claim an order number, but not assign the licenses. The licenses will not start to burn (they'll stay in an 'unused' state). They will start to burn when they are assigned to a device or 90 days after purchase. So, if you make a purchase on 1/1, claim the order number (but don't assign the licenses) on 1/10, then assign the licenses on 1/31, the license start date will be 1/31. 

Frankthetank
Here to help

So with this new licencing structure what exactly happens if you have 5 active devices on a network and 1 of those devices licence expire and the 30 day grace period runs out but all other devices on the network have current licenses? Will you shut all devices down in that organization? As a network administrator I recently had this happen due to a issue with a camera license and our entire Meraki network was taken offline due to 1 expired camera license which wasn't stated very clear that that would happen and is in my opinion ridiculous.

Frank Kelly
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@Frankthetank wrote:

So with this new licencing structure what exactly happens if you have 5 active devices on a network and 1 of those devices licence expire and the 30 day grace period runs out but all other devices on the network have current licenses? Will you shut all devices down in that organization? As a network administrator I recently had this happen due to a issue with a camera license and our entire Meraki network was taken offline due to 1 expired camera license which wasn't stated very clear that that would happen and is in my opinion ridiculous.

@Frankthetank In co-termination, we do deactive/shutdoewn the entire organization, but in per-device licensing, only the device that has the license issue will be deactivated. You can read more here

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.