cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CONTEST CLOSED] Happy New Year! What are your Networking Resolutions?

Community Manager

UPDATE: this contest has ended. Thanks to everyone who shared their resolutions with us! Congrats to our 3 randomly selected winners: @raschank1@EB_HelenaMT, and @thilber!   

In last year’s Network Resolutions contest, the community resolved (among many things) to continue to learn more Python and get DevNet certified, drink more coffee, and generally improve their Meraki networks. Goodness, how young we were then...

This round, we'd love to hear either how your resolutions from 2020 changed as the year unfolded or what your new networking resolutions are for the year ahead. Three lucky winners will receive some fun Meraki swag!

How to enter

Tell us your Network Resolutions in a comment on this blog post before 9:59am PST on Tuesday (January 12).

How to win

Once submissions close at 9:59am PST on January 12th, we will select three entries at random to win an exclusive Meraki Community mug!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190812112449147_COVER.jpg

🍀🍀Good Luck! 🍀🍀

The Fine Print

• Limit one entry per community member 
  • Submission period: Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 11am PST through Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 9:59am PST
  • Complete rules and eligibility can be found here.
64 Comments
Getting noticed

I think for me it's cleanup up VLANS, auditing ports, checking spanning tree, etc. Not sure if I'll use the dashboard or API, but cleanup, auditing and documentation are high on my list for 2021.

Kind of a big deal

I ended up moving from Node.js to Python for a lot of coding so I can have a "tier 1" supported platform by Meraki.

I have looked at DevNet many times, but you can't do just Meraki.  You also have to do a lot of other things like DNA Centre and the like - which I have zero interest in.  I don't have interest in Cisco Enterprise anymore.  I feel let down by Cisco Enterprise.

So I will continue to not to do the Devnet certification.

I've decided not to renew my Cisco Enterprise certifications this year.  I am going to let them all expire.  I no longer value them.  I wish Cisco would recognise CMSS and Meraki certifications in general when it comes to partner requirements.

I mostly drink decaf now.  I was drinking too much coffee, and it was not healthy.

I've started doing more exercise (running and walking).

Last year I wrote my first custom Meraki dashboard for a customer to accomplish very specific tasks they do frequently in their business.  I integrated it with a Cisco DAG gateway to use SAML authentication.  And now they can allow a broader range of staff to SAML authenticate to the portal and perform these tasks without them having to have any access to the Meraki dashboard.

I think I would like to pursue more of this Meraki "value add" by creating more custom dashboards for customers.

Just in case anyone else wants to use the Duo Access Gateway for SAML authentication against a Python web app:

https://github.com/pdath/cisco-duo-dag-python-flask-saml-example 

Kind of a big deal

I’m sure you’ve thought long and hard about that @PhilipDAth but are you sure you want to let your Professional exams expire? Lot of effort to get them back whereas a simple exam let’s them tick over for another three years.

Kind of a big deal

@UCcert I have spent a lot of time agonising about what to do about my professional exams.  I just don't value them anymore.  I don't want to spend time learning things like DNAC, and the "traditional" knowledge I have versus what the exams slowly morph into means I am going to have to spend more and more time learning how to use products I have no interest in.

We have one CCIE on staff.  We discuss learning maybe every 3 months.  We've given him the option of not renewing his CCIE if he wants and only working on Meraki projects.  He has also decided to follow in my footsteps now, and drop his CCIE.

We have been a Premier Partner for over 20 years now.  Possibly the longest in our country (certainly in the top two).

We've decided to drop being a Premier Partner as Cisco don't recognise Merai qualifications.  We'll only be a select partner later this year.

We spoke to Cisco about our intention.  They agree - if you are focused on Meraki being a Premiere Partner gains you nothing.

These days, about 90% of my time is spent working on Meraki and Meraki related projects.  We've converted about 99% of our Cisco Enterprise customers to Meraki now.

And this year - I think I am going to be able to start using MX for more "proper" firewall replacements.  Especially when Anyconnect gets released, and the IKEv2 support is improved.  It's not great, but when the customer has "Meraki everything thing else" its livable.

I have been using vASAs for doing AnyConnect+VPNs on Meraki deployments, but with the new AnyConnect support I think we'll change 100% across to using StrongSwan for site to site VPNs.  It is just so awesome - and free.

Cisco Enterprise no longer figures in our revenue stream as being significant.  And personally, I could easily get a job doing only Meraki work for any number of companies in my country.  Skilled Meraki engineers are in demand.

Building a reputation

Mine involve a lot of programming.

I'm currently building my own house (well I let building it) and it will get smart(light, shutters, ...). Additionally the whole network & cameras will be based on Meraki.

To make everything work together I want to write a meraki component for home assistant, so that I can easily integrate meraki with my smart home 😃

e.g.

• Someone comes to the front door while I'm watching TV -> switch to chromecast and display the video from the front door
  • Alarm system is active and the camera detects a person -> close all open shutters
  • Enable/Disable (hidden) SSID based on my location. WiFi with Site2Site VPN to the company doesn't have to be enabled while I'm not at home.
    • same goes for the switchport with the office IPPhone

Conversationalist

This year I am hoping to complete my CCNA and also the ECMS2. I have had plenty of studying time over the last year and now its time to put them into action.

Just browsing

My networking goals for this year are to become a Meraki Master, to further enhance customer dashboards with pertinent information, and continue specializing in High density environments.

Conversationalist

ACL cleanup and cert renewals.

Conversationalist

my goal for this year is to keep Skynet restricted to the lab in order to keep humanity safe.

Conversationalist

I would like to extend my knowledge into learning APIs. To be able to provision new sites in minutes with an automation script. To Building my own dashboard.

Comes here often

Well....for now, I'd say CMSS certified.

In paralel, keep on studying DEVNET material aiming to become DEVASC certified and be part of DEVNET Class#2020.

Have a great 2021 yall! 

😀

Building a reputation

@PhilipDAthabout letting your personal certificates expire: Personally I wouldn't do it, even If I wouldn't need it currently. You don't know what will happen in a few years. I currently hold a CCIE Collaboration, CCDevP (got it beginning of March 2020), CCNP Collab, ...

I completely understand that you don't want to go the "traditional" recertification path with studying for one or more exams.

In 2017 or 2018 cisco hast started the continued education path for CCIEs and in the meantime it got also available for the lower tiers. Which means you can recertify just with attending (online) courses.

I was the first person in my company which has went this way for the CCIE recertification and all I did was attending 2 online self study courses:

• Developing with Cisco Network Programmability (NPDEV) 4.0
    • which had not much to do with my daily business, but it was still interesting to learn. In the end it has also helped me to pass the DevCore exam as some topics got covered here.
  • Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony and Video (CTCOLLAB) 1.0
    • There wasn't much new here for me, but I still have learned something.

There isn't any requirement for you to do anything similiar to your current certificates. You just have to attend courses which are part of the program.

Just login into ce.cisco.com and look for any courses for your recertification. For professional level you would need 80 credits/points. You can do 4 courses which are worth 20 or just do 2 with 50 and 30 credits or any other combination.

Here to help

CMSS & DevNet Certifications 😃

Here to help

Lets not discuss last year, but start off the New Year with something positive. Currently implementing my first vMX in Azure as a test pilot in preparation for a on-premise virtual environment migration to Azure project while maintaining a Meraki mesh network sometime mid-2021! 🙂

Comes here often

Start testing the MG21 to see if I can add some LTE backup!

New here

My goal for 2021 is to use more Meraki equipment in projects!

Conversationalist

My goal for 2021 is to introduce prospects and clients to new Meraki products.

Here to help

Continue developing my API scripts, create dashboards for users, and document our network configurations.. in case I get hit by the proverbial bus in 2021. Really looking forward to seeing the API continue to grow, especially would be amazing to see the very useful network objects become part of the API. IPv6 would be a nice 2021 present, too. *fingers crossed*

Conversationalist

2021 goal.

Roll out 200+ MS390s, and 400+ meraki aps.

Also 300 MX-68ws.

Then automate it all with Ansible tower.

Here to help

My plan is to get all "legacy" VLANs removed, getting any devices still using them to where they should be now, since we are now actually using VLANs unlike how it was, flat...Blah!  After that, clean up the IDFs cabling - no more using the "why use a 3' cable when a 15' will do???" mentality. I def want to dig into the API portion on the Meraki side, too!  New knowledge is never a bad thing 🙂