Meraki Virtual MX BGP Advertisement Behavior

Taiga
Comes here often

Meraki Virtual MX BGP Advertisement Behavior

Hello All,

I need a little help in controlling the route advertisement between our Meraki Network and external EBGP Peers. 

We have a virtual meraki deployed in Google Cloud and that meraki is peering with Google cloud router through Network Connectivity Center. I can see the routes from internal Google Cloud instances through VMX on Meraki Dashboard. But there is a problem where the vMX deployed the iBGP sessions with all the other networks in our organization and advertising all of those routes into Google Cloud Router throught eBGP. Since there are many autovpn routes in our organization, the Google Cloud Router routing table quota was exceeded since the threshold was only 250 per region. 

Here comes my question.

I would like to know whether it is possible to limit the advertisement of autovpn routes from vMX to eBGP peers or not. 

I've checked the BGP configuration page on vMX and I can only see the tab to control the limit of receiving routes from eBGP peers. 

Taiga_0-1688627801239.png

Taiga_1-1688627812893.png

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe not since this is the expected behavior.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The only think you really have control of, in that, is whether a VLAN at the Spoke site is VPN enabled or not.   If it's not, it won't be included in eBGP advertisements into GCP.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

AFAIK there is no route summarization feature yet in Meraki dashboard.

So that might be a good case to present als request.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using more than one VMX?

If not - change to static routing.  Much simpler.  🙂

Taiga
Comes here often

I’m using two at this moment. 
Actually if I use the static routing, for GCP I can point the routes to vMX instance but from the vMX site, how should I configure the static routes to VPC Subnet? 
I’m using Passthrough + Hub mode right now. 

Are you talking seriously? 

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yeah?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.