Remote monitoring issues with MG

Solved
PatWruk
Getting noticed

Remote monitoring issues with MG

We use solarwinds to monitor our remote locations, we have it setup to ping the WAN IP to check if it's up. We can't seem to ping through our MG (which is in passthrough mode). Doing a packet capture at the MX we can see the request/reply but doing a packet capture on the MG we only see the request, not the reply.

MX capture

PatWruk_0-1696364067866.png

MG Capture

PatWruk_1-1696364109476.png

Any ideas on what would cause this? The MX sees the public IP properly and uses that as it's uplink interface so it is running in passthrough, not sure what it could be

1 Accepted Solution

@PatWruk what code version are you testing on?  There is an icmp issue that was fixed in 3.101..

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you have multiple sites that use MGs? Do any of them respond to ping? Which carrier? I find most carriers (at least in the US) use CG-NAT and seldom do I see their WAN IPs pingable.

Do these sites have a non cell provider on the other WAN? If yes is that IP pingable?

This is our first site that has the MG. We are using Verizon as the primary carrier on it and AT&T as the backup. We have paid to not have the CG-NAT. 

When we ping from outside of that network we can see the pings hit the MX and the MX responds but we don't see the response in the packet capture on the MG.

Data Center -> MG -> MX looks fine but the packet captures only show MX -> nothing coming from the MX on the MG

@PatWruk what code version are you testing on?  There is an icmp issue that was fixed in 3.101..

yep that is our exact issue, we are currently running 3.0. I'll try to get approval to move to 3.101 but may have to wait until it's 'stable'.

Thanks @javalins 

We were able to do the upgrade last night, and that did fix the issue, thanks again!

No Problem, if you have a minute can you please mark this as solved for future Meraki MG customers that might have a similar question? Thank you!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.