More than two LTE WAN connections

Speakup11
Conversationalist

More than two LTE WAN connections

Hi, Would it be possible to bundle more than 2 LTE WAN connections on an MX using MG41/MG51 using the SD-WAN (Auto-VPN, and dynamic path selection)?

We have a use case in Africa where there is only 3G/4G cellular available from multiple network operators. To increase the reliability and we wan't to combine 3 networks. I did notice the MG41 and MG51 do have two sim slots. I suspect however that the MX will still see 1 WAN connection?

6 Replies 6
javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

That's correct.  The MG has 2 SIM Slots that work in Active-Backup since there is only a single Radio inside of the MG.  The MX supports a maximum of 2 active WAN Uplinks at this point in time.

Thanks @javalins for your swift reply. I was afraid this would be the case. A real shame. Is there no creative workaround possible? E.g. if I combine 2 MX routers?

Looking at PepLink SD-Wan solutions and even Citrix SD-Wan, they have the option of many more WAN ports.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could have two MXs with a pair of MGs plugged into each.  If you load balanced the WANs on those and then connected each WAN port of a third MX to the LAN ports of the first pair, you could load balance across four cellular connections.

Not the cheapest option, but...

javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The Caveat here is that in order to have Active-Active MX, they would need to be in separate networks.  MX's within a single network work in active-backup only.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could use something like an MX67C.  Change one of the LAN ports to a WAN port.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/MX64_Installation_Guide#Setting_up_second... 

Now plug in two MG41/MG51.  Both can be used at the same time.

The MX67C also has a SIM slot.  You can plug a SIM into this - but note this one can only be used if the first two cellular data links fail.

Now you can have three cellular data providers configured.

This would provide active-active-backup, which gets you to three.  @Speakup11  is the goal 3 Active Uplinks? Or just have a third uplink as an option? If we aren't concerned about the number of active carriers at a single point in time, either the solution above by @PhilipDAth or @cmr achieves that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.