how to configure the AP as gateway for repeater AP's

Sibusiso87
Getting noticed

how to configure the AP as gateway for repeater AP's

the Access point that are repeaters arw down due the gateway Access point is down

5 Replies 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure but I believe a reboot of the repeater will have it pick a new gateway.

Sibusiso87
Getting noticed

they dont , that smy problem and the main issues now is that the main gateway  is showing down on dashboard.

so how to configure the new gateway or make the AP's to pick up new gateway

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

According to the following doc, the mesh AP will select a gateway on bootup.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking#Meraki_...

I suspect in your circumstance, the gateway AP isn't reaching the dashboard but is still online. Therefore it is being chosen as the gateway.

Do you know why the gateway is showing offline in the dashboard? Can you turn it off (Eg. Disable the switch port if it's PoE) to force the repeater to find a new gateway?

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can choose in Dashboard which AP you'd prefer the repeater to use - for more info see: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking#Preferr...

ConnorL_0-1701943251231.png

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Are there other gateway APs in usable RF range to the repeaters? Repeaters will form mesh connections to the gateway with the best link quality as another member mentioned above. And, repeaters should be able to automatically form a mesh connection to alternate gateways should it's previous gateway become unavailable. 

Meraki mesh is auto forming and self healing. I would recommend a Support case so an Engineer can take a closer look at the issue with you.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels