can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID

Solved
gavin
Comes here often

can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID

I can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID. SSID is configured for bridge mode. I am unable to connect chromecast generation 1 to my Meraki AP- MR33, running version MR 24.12. any suggestion?

Do I have to enable multicast to fix it? it was not working on my fortinet AP but it started working as soon as I enabled multicast.

1 Accepted Solution
Mikey
Conversationalist

I ran into this issue as well at my office. I'm not sure if this is an "official fix" , but I created a group policy on my wireless network for the Chromecast to bypass the splash page. This was strange because my network doesn't use a splash page, but it has worked since.

1. Log in to Dashboard.

2. Navigate to Configure > Group Policies.

3. Click Add a group.

4. GIve the group policy a name (for example, “Bypass Splash Page”)

5. Select “Bypass” in the Splash drop-down

6. Click Save at the bottom of the page

Mikey Romero
IT Guy!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@gavin wrote:

I can't connect chromecast generation 1 to SSID. SSID is configured for bridge mode. I am unable to connect chromecast generation 1 to my Meraki AP- MR33, running version MR 24.12. any suggestion?

Do I have to enable multicast to fix it? it was not working on my fortinet AP but it started working as soon as I enabled multicast.

Gavin

I have a couple of A/V devices in my test network that have Chromecast built in. It is very convenient to be able to cast from a phone to one or other of them. I have found that it works very well when the SSID the wireless device connects to uses the same VLAN that the Chromecast A/V player ethernet connected devices are members of.

So smartphone - VLAN 111

SSID               -  WPA2-PSK, L3-roaming, VLAN tag 111, not isolated, not blocked from LAN

VLAN 111 allowed on WAP and switchport WAP is connected to.

The MX does not handle multicast properly (cannot configure IGMP-proxy), so make sure the VLAN connection does not need to be routed via the MZ ; simplest to plug the WAP and the multicast capable device into the same switch and configure IgMPv3 snooping on the switch.

I have found out the following from Google - 

You will need to disable AP or client isolation on your router in order to set up Chromecast. -- See What router settings do I need to set up Chromecast?
With that being said,  If you have strong knowledge of firewalls, , you can set things to allow certain traffic.
Which ports does Chromecast use when connecting to external services?
        • HTTP:  TCP/80
	• HTTPS:  TCP/443
	• DNS:  UDP/53
	• SNTP:  UDP/123
Which ports are used by Chromecast to communicate with computer/phone/tablet in the same network?
	• SSDP:  UDP/1900/multicast
	• mDNS:  UDP/5353/multicast
	• TCP/8008
	• TCP/8009
Hope this information helps.

Even with this information I am having no joy at getting a smartphone on one VLAN to communicate with a Chromecast device on another VLAN. Cisco has a Chromecast Deployment Guide, Release 7.6 the information therin leads me to believe that Meraki does not yet handle this situation as multicast is not fully functional at this time.

I have tried enabling Bonjour which desn't help, I configured the VLANs so that the one of the VLANs super-netted the other and Meraki refused to configure that.

With everything on the same VLAN, it works just fine.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

its not connecting the Wi-Fi?

for testing, make a new ssid with a simpel ssid name. 

enable wpa1+wpa2

disable 802.11w

disable band steering.

configure the lowest minimum bitrate.

try connecting the new ssid

Mikey
Conversationalist

I ran into this issue as well at my office. I'm not sure if this is an "official fix" , but I created a group policy on my wireless network for the Chromecast to bypass the splash page. This was strange because my network doesn't use a splash page, but it has worked since.

1. Log in to Dashboard.

2. Navigate to Configure > Group Policies.

3. Click Add a group.

4. GIve the group policy a name (for example, “Bypass Splash Page”)

5. Select “Bypass” in the Splash drop-down

6. Click Save at the bottom of the page

Mikey Romero
IT Guy!

When I try to connect my SID with 1, I ma actually do not know what to do in this condition, Now I ran into my office after creating this group for my site, after setting all the things there is also a trouble which I try o resolve with 

https://notresponding.net/8-solution-steps-chrome-err_ssl_protocol_error/  and this steps are really helpful to me.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.