WPA3 issue

RLNG
Getting noticed

WPA3 issue

Hey there, has anyone here tried using WPA3 with a Radius server? If you have, did you encounter any significant issues?

We're planning to deploy Meraki APs and are curious whether it's advisable to continue with WPA2 or use WPA3 for Active Directory-based authentication. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's probably because de client's device does not support WP3.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
TBHPTL
A model citizen

Agreed most likely issues

• Lack of support for WPA3 by clients
  • incompatibility with 802.11w... see bullet above

Set up a test SSID using WPA3-SAE to test your devices first.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I run RADIUS with WPA3 and have seen no issues. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have had no end of issues with WPA3.  I would not use it for anything else but for testing.

Maybe in 2 more years, it will have enough maturity for client devices and APs to play together nice and reliably - but we are not at that point now.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

I’ve found the WPA3 Enterprise works fine. (It’s basically the same thing)

I’ve found WPA3 Personal works fine if you have lots of new clients or Apple (where the OS is up to date)

OWE is hit or miss… OWE doesn’t seem to work in 6 GHz on Meraki…

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

I tested this again and OWE is now working for me on android (pixel 6a) and iOS (iPhone 15 pro). It also works on my M2 MBP running sonoma. 

pjc
A model citizen

I understand WPA3 is mandatory on WiFi6E (6ghz) - I can see this causing issues with legacy clients that don't support WPA3.  Could it take a few years for all clients to be 100% compatible ?  If so, doesn't this stifle the roll out of 6ghz now ?  The idea of paying a premium for buying CWxxxx AP's now but not being able to take advantage of them right away by enabling 6ghz SSiD's kinda takes the shine off them.  This must be the first time that there's no backward compatibility in this way to account for all clients on the same SSiD....

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

It's a software update so most clients can use WPA3 if they're up to date with is updates. 

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Also, the fact that there isn't backwards compatibility is what means that you'll actually be able to use 802.11ax features in 6 GHz. It's a good thing. Not a bad thing. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels