Radius server stops responding intermittiently

Donna1
New here

Radius server stops responding intermittiently

I am having issues with my Meraki wi-fi and the radius server.   The radius server will intermittently stop responding about 1-2 weeks and I have to reboot the server.  It takes 2 reboots to get the authentication back.   I am not having an issue with it being constantly broken.  I wanted to know if there are any suggestions on why this happens frequently.  I never know when I have to reboot my server and it is causing frustration with my users.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Which radius server are you using? NPS, Cisco ISE, Freeradius? 

What I can suggest is to keep your server always updated, and review which services are stopping during the problem.

To be honest, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Meraki. So it would be good to talk to a server expert.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I am using NPS.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you check the logs at the time of the problem and open a ticket with Microsoft.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check the event log when it is broken for hints.

You can also try filtering the security log (in event viewer) for IDs 6272 and 6273.  If you see failures, see why it says it is failing.

I enabled logging for the nps and I do not see any failures at all.  It is almost like it is not even requesting a login.  When it is working, i see the logging for failed and successful logins.

I do see in the logs event 3026 in the EapHost log "Skipping: Unable to add EAP method.  Friendly name not present.  TypeID (50), AuthorID(311), VendorID(0), VendorType(0)

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What also might be of benefit is if you have a way of monitoring you network like PRTG or similar setup a Radius probe and see if that fails and it least you will get a history of how often it's happening and it there is any pattern.

Meraki AP's talking to radius servers is pretty rock solid. I use a cloud based radius solution and I've never had it time out because of latency or not respond. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels