Question on Alert in meraki dashboard

Solved
Keith_Li
Comes here often

Question on Alert in meraki dashboard

Dear All, 

I have a question would like to ask regarding on the alert in meraki dashboard, i can see the minimum time i can set is 5 mins, just wonder any way i can adjust it to 1 minute ? or any option i can have alert when AP reboot so that i know there is a reboot on the AP ? any help would be appreicated 

A gateway goes offline for 5 minutes

A switch goes offline for 5 minutes

Keith 

1 Accepted Solution

If the alert time is set to 1 minute you’ll get a lot of false positives, just as @PhilipDAth mentions. Even the slightest internet hiccup will cause the dashboard to register that the AP is offline, even though it is still working and moving packets at the location. 
What you see as “offline” is that the management plane is down, which could mean one of two things; internet is down or the entire AP is down. With a 1 minute alert time you’ll get a lot of alerts that don’t necessarily mean that the AP is down. Meraki will 99% of the time forward packets still, even though it has lost internet connectivity, unless the device has actually crashed or whatever.

If you need this sort of granularity, then use SNMP. 

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Without being completely sure I think the best way to get that kind of granularity you need to syslog from the devices instead of Meraki Alerts.

Or use SNMP.

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

> just wonder any way i can adjust it to 1 minute 

No.  You would get a lot of false alerts if you could.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

may i ask that if the AP are not reachable for 1 minute its already impacted ? just wonder minmum 5 mins is a little bit long, i just want to found a official explanation to our customer why its set minmum 5 minutes instead of 1 since they have many concern on the alerting like can it be receiving alert if AP reboot or lack of connectivites of endpoint althought connected to ssid etc 

If the alert time is set to 1 minute you’ll get a lot of false positives, just as @PhilipDAth mentions. Even the slightest internet hiccup will cause the dashboard to register that the AP is offline, even though it is still working and moving packets at the location. 
What you see as “offline” is that the management plane is down, which could mean one of two things; internet is down or the entire AP is down. With a 1 minute alert time you’ll get a lot of alerts that don’t necessarily mean that the AP is down. Meraki will 99% of the time forward packets still, even though it has lost internet connectivity, unless the device has actually crashed or whatever.

If you need this sort of granularity, then use SNMP. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels