Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

RH6379
Getting noticed

Netgear Nighthawk Router and MR33 as range extender?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 wireless router on the first floor of my house.  I don't get a strong signal on the top floor and opposite end of the house.  I am getting a free MR33 AP.  I'd like to use that MR33 on the top floor so that it provides stronger WiFi on that end of the house.  Can I set up the MR33 as a bridge and connect a switch to it for the PCs on that side or Can I set it up as a wireless range extender so the laptops can connect to it over Wifi and get access to the internet?

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR33 can not be a range extender. It can not act as a bridge to a non-Meraki AP.

You really don't want to mix vendors in this scenario either.

However if you are really keen, I would suggest you use power line extenders. Dlink have a good reputation in this area. This lets you extend your wired network over the power lines in your house. This would let you plug in the MR33 at a location near a power point.
Note that you will probably have to disable Air Marshall (or perhaps whitelist the other AP), as it will see the other non-Meraki AP and consider it to be an attack.
You really want a pair of Meraki APs.

I know this is an old post but I actually want to use my Netgear Nighthawk AX12000 in conjunction with a MR53 not as an extender.

I have ethernet throughout my home and have a POE switch.  I just want to know if its viable for using as an AP in addition to my existing router WIFI without having to fork over a ton on money for a Meraki switch.   I do have the free one from a Webinar so I am curious 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

An MR53 should function with any active PoE switch, ideally use a PoE+ switch.  If you are intending on having one Meraki AP and one other vendor's AP active at the same time on the same SSID, then try to minimize overlap and as @PhilipDAth said, whitelist the other AP on the dashboard.

ErazoR
Just browsing

Thanks for responding.  I guess my next question is I have a MS-220 and a couple of MR55.  Do I really need buy the Meraki firewall or does the switch provide me with some internal security at all?

Or can I use my AX11000 ROUTER as the firewall?  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.