Meraki Wireless SSID Limitation

RohitYadav
Conversationalist

Meraki Wireless SSID Limitation

As Meraki Suggest to enable only 3 SSID, Can anyone confirm what will happen if we enable 5 SSID?

7 Replies 7
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's more of a best practice. Each SSID has some management overhead and therefore more you enable, the more utilisation there is on the channel.

Others in the community have previously expressed they have up to 5 SSID's running with no performance impact.

RohitYadav
Conversationalist

Thanks for the info...I am looking for, if someone have faced any issue after enabling more than 3 SSID's or any Doc mentioning the issue?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This doc does a very good job of discussing the considerations around multiple SSID's.
Multi-SSID Deployment Considerations - Cisco Meraki Documentation

Below are some other threads where people have discussed this.
Solved: How many SSID's are recommended to be enabled? - The Meraki Community
Solved: Multi SSID Environments (5+ SSIDs) - The Meraki Community

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can also take a look at ipsk. Maybe you dont need multiple ssids, just more vlans/segments

yepper
Here to help

whoa @ww you just blew my mind with ipsk. I literally had no idea about ipsk capabilities until you suggested it and I looked up it. Just read up on it & it's *EXACTLY* what would reduce my 5 SSIDs use case down to maybe 2 or 3. Thank You!

I have a customer running 5 or 6 SSIDs.  Works fine.  Just not desirable or my first choice.

MerDrago
Conversationalist

I have 5 (and 6 at certain times) running with no problems

I have 2 - SSIDs hidden (for internal ), 3 - SSID's broadcasting (2 for workload) and 1 for guest network.

Never had an issue with any of them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels