Meraki MR84 compatible with MR86?

latintrpt
Getting noticed

Meraki MR84 compatible with MR86?

Hi,

I have a site that uses MR84's and need to purchase additional AP's to fill in some gaps in coverage.

Does anyone know if the MR84's are compatible with MR86's?  Any roaming issues?

Thank you

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, although mixing different AP models is not recommended.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi alemabrahao, does this mean that Meraki support would not assist with troubleshooting in case of issues?

They will help, but it is not a good practice to mix different models due to the compatibility of some features that are eventually not supported in a model.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Hi @latintrpt , just as long as you have a license Meraki support will provide you with support.

I would highly recommend a wireless survey especially if placing in critical areas or providing services such as wayfinding etc.

hi @alemabrahao 

Why is not recommended?  I’ve done it successfully in the past without issues across hundreds of sites?

Is this documented somewhere?

Mixed Firmware Networks

A “Mixed Network" is a dashboard network (wireless-only or combined network type) that includes MR models from multiple Wi-Fi families (see the table below) where some of the MR models support new features and some don’t. The table below explains what those families are and whether or not a feature works in a “mixed” dashboard network. An example of a “mixed” network would be a network that consists of MR34 (802.11ac Wave 1), MR33 (802.11ac Wave 2), and MR36 (802.11ax) access points.

Some of the new advanced features cannot be used in "mixed" networks for consistency reasons. Even when some APs support the feature it will not be possible to enable it or make use of it.

In order to use the features, we encourage customers to create separate networks where only APs that support the desired feature will be used.

And the likelihood of them using the newer features if still using Wave 2 APs is slim….

Common sense would prevail here.

Yes, I agree, that's why I said that it has compatibility, I myself have several projects with different AP's Models. In some I've had problems, in others not, that is, it's very relative.

Therefore the recommendation is that whenever possible use APs of the same model.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You will be running your network in 'mixed-network'. Refer to : 

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/MR_Mixed_Firmware_Networks.

I do think that support will assist you , but they may suggest to split the network if you have issues with some features that do not support mixed-network. 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you're worried about client behaviors you could disable 802.11ax features on the MR86's to remove the extra IE's in the probe replies and assoc frames coming from those AP's.  Those will make sure your client does not see any additional features on those AP's.

And if you really want to be sure, just group the 86'es together in one area so you don't constantly roam from 84 to 86 back to 84 etc.. any difference in behavior will then be minimized to the times you do cross from one AP type to the other.

In a mixed network you won't have NBAR but you are not using that right now so you won't be missing anything.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels