MR30.6 - Multiple DHCP servers detected

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR30.6 - Multiple DHCP servers detected

Hi ,

I'm testing MR30.6 in a Lab.  Since the upgrade , my event logs are flooded with : 

RaphaelL_0-1711378460410.png

Vlans are configured on the MX , and the MX relays the DHCP requests to multiple DHCP servers , so of course multiple DHCP responses will be received. 

Support says this is expected... 

Anyone experiencing the same thing ? That doesn't make any sense to me... Clients connected to the MX or the MS on the same vlan do not generate these logs despite receiving multiple dhcp offers.  

8 Replies 8
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Mmmm.... we were having these before MR30.X , still I don't think that this makes any sense. Or am I missing something ?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, I guess the event log is just telling you that you have set up multiple DHCP servers...  I guess you could just filter it, but that doesn't explain the difference in behaviour compared to the MS.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've seen this behavior in much older versions than this one. Is this really expected? I can't say, but I've observed this behavior since 2015 as far as I can remember.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Maybe it will help you.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/DHCP/Tracking_Down_Rogue_DHCP_Servers

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RaphaelL this is in the original 30.6 fix list, but is now not...

• Multiple DHCP servers detected when clients use DHCP relay (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2, Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E APs)
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Support told me that this fix is for single DHCP relay ( one DHCP reply ) and not for multiple DHCP servers like my setup 😣

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It does say multiple DHCP servers and it is now not fixed, so I wouldn't be so sure...

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is the reply I got : 

After discussions with a few different members of my team that worked on the original bug report, the reason why the fixes weren't working for us here is because I originally misinterpreted what the report sought to fix. The original report was related to seeing the Multiple DHCP servers detected in the event log when only one dhcp server was specified as dhcp relay. In short, activating any DHCP relay at all even with one relay agent upstream would trigger this and that behavior specifically was what was fixed*. With that said, it was explained to me that since more than 1 DHCP server is specified as a relay for the same vlan upstream in this situation, then the Multiple DHCP servers detected alert is actually true in this case since clients could receive offers from two separate servers, and therefore the DHCP server detection feature is functioning as intended in this case.

+ They had me test a private build ( 30.7 ? ) which didn't fix anything. Per support there is nothing to fix since this is expected. This is debatable. 

*Not fixed since removed from the changelog as you mentionned

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels