MR 42 vs Mr74 Range

Solved
tolinrome
New here

MR 42 vs Mr74 Range

Hello,

If I replace an internal AP MR 42, with an external MR74 with the 4 antenna's, will the MR 74 provide a longer range\better signal than the MR42?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@tolinrome you will get about the same with omnidirectional antennas.  You can only get greater distances by using directional antennas

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't remember exactly the type of antenna for each model, but the MR74 with external antennas can potentially provide a longer range and better signal than the MR42.

Frequently Asked Questions for Cisco Meraki Access Point Antennas - Cisco Meraki Documentation

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KevinC
Here to help

This is going to be antenna specific. Are you planning on reusing the same antenna? If so, you will not see any significant change in the range/gain.

tolinrome
New here

For the MR42 its using its internal antenna. If I replace it with the M274 it will be using it's 4 external antennas. The antennas are the omni directional ones.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@tolinrome you will get about the same with omnidirectional antennas.  You can only get greater distances by using directional antennas

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels