IOS 16.X and 802.11 Error code 8

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IOS 16.X and 802.11 Error code 8

Hi ,

I have noticed an increase of error messages with IOS devices running IOS 16.X : 

RaphaelL_0-1668690836223.png

AP are running 28.7 , 29.4.1 , 29.5 and are all reporting this message.

Seems to be only affecting IOS devices.

I was able to reproduce the ''issue'' in lab. I have an Iphone sitting on my desk, AP is 5-6 feet away and randomly the logs are appearing.

No user complaints so far , only flooding my logs. 

SSID is WPA2-Enterprise and clients are far from being out of range. Weird.

Any one with the same issue ?

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just checked a client running iOS16.0.2, but It looks normal here.  Code 8 means Station has left the basic service area or extended service area and is disassociated. I don't know if It makes any sense to you.  Have you tried to perform a packet capture?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

These issues are too random to perform a packet capture sadly. 

In my lab the Iphone is sitting on my desk and not moving around. It is probably going into a power saving mode or something. Happens at random moments during the day/night.

I think It can be the power saving mode too. 😅

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My money is on power saving as well.

If you can make it happen in the lab, and then plug the phone into a charger - you'll know.

Plug into PSU as @PhilipDAth  suggested and turn off screen lock and leave for a few hours. I've not had any reports from users having issues on my networks. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.