Failed connection to SSID (x) on AP (x) during association - error_code='55'

EtienneSwart
Conversationalist

Failed connection to SSID (x) on AP (x) during association - error_code='55'

Good day everyone

I have some users on my Wireless LAN that are failing to connect to an SSID. This SSID is open with only Radius authentication.

The building is quite a dense Wireless network with a lot of AP's. 802.11r is enabled on the AP's as well.

The error code when looking from the Network Wide > Clients > Roaming point of view is: Failed connection to SSID (x) on AP (x) during association

When looking at the Meraki logs, the error code is as follows: auth_mode='wpa2-802.1x' 11k='1' 11v='1' ft='1' reassoc='1' error_code='55' radio='1' vap='0' channel='100' rssi='51'

Does anybody know what the cause of this error code might be? I have looked through all documentation and I can't find anything on error code 55.

Thanks in advance

Etienne 

9 Replies 9
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is that access point setup on the radius server end as a NAS

Hi Blake. The AP's are all added to an ISE with all Users' credentials.

This issue is intermittent. There will be a lot of successful connections to an AP and then sometimes a user would fail to connect.

This happens at random with random users in the network and random AP's. I have not been able to replicate the issue with a specific user or a specific AP.

Have you verified that all your AP’s are in the right subnet?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

I have confirmed that all AP's are in the same subnet. All of their IP's are static and are added to ISE for authentication

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try disabling the 802.11r.

While many customers enable 802.11r within their network without issue, some legacy devices may not connect to an 802.11r network. 802.11r is a recommended feature due to its many benefits, however a device audit is encouraged first to ensure that mission critical devices are not affected.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

This would be my advice too… or turn on ’adaptive’ - although I’ve seen this cause issues too but at least your Apple devices would still benefit. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Anything showing up from that page ? : 

RaphaelL_0-1689692315053.png

Is the device able to connect or it fails at random times ?

MattC1
Here to help

Are these Windows 10/11 devices that are connecting, then losing connection when roaming to a new access point?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That + Intel NIC + MR29.XX firmware that would be my guess

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.