Assigning a vlan to an ssid

Solved
Announcer
Getting noticed

Assigning a vlan to an ssid

I have created a new Test vlan20. I have created a new dhcp as well.  I have made a test ssid and assigned vlan20 in the ssid page under vlan tagging.  I can connect a laptop to the ssid, but am not getting a dhcp that is assigned to that vlan?  What am I missing?  The ports on the AP are set to allow all vlans.

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Is this VLAN allowed on MX trunk port?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the switch port to which the AP is connected configured in Trunk mode, tagging VLAN 20?

If you configure a switch port in this VLAN and connect a machine, is the behavior the same? Don't forget that the Wireless network is just an extension of the wired network.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

It is set as trunk mode and allow all vlans, yes.

If you configure a switch port in this VLAN and connect a machine, is the behavior the same? Don't forget that the Wireless network is just an extension of the wired network.

What device is acting as the DHCP server? and is that device on tagged with the same VLAN ID?

If you have added the tagging to the SSID that is all you need to do on the MR side of things. Your issue sounds like something on the wired network isn't quite configured correctly. 

The DHCP is from the mx.

I am not getting any dhcp for this vlan on wired either.  The vlan is active/allowed on the mx port though.

Is this VLAN allowed on MX trunk port?

Yes, it is allowed.

Who is your LAN gateway? The MX or a switch core? If it's the main switch, did you create the ip helper-address?

ok, Thank you all for your help.  The new vlan was enabled on the wrong Lan/trunk port on the MX.  The one that it was enabled on was not even plugged in to the switch.  I enabled the new vlan on the one port that is going to all the switches and is now receiving dhcp wired and wireless. 

Thanks for sharing what the problem was. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels