removing switches for move and reuse in new space.

MG_Underwood
Just browsing

removing switches for move and reuse in new space.

Hello,
We are in the process of moving from one office to another. 

In our current space we have 5 MSP48 switches.

I will only need 2 of them in the new space, initially at least.

so I have removed all of the connections from 2 of the switches shown below. However the ports in the back are still connected in the chain. 

It was suggested that I remove the switches logically from the stack before removing them physically. 
Makes sense.
So I am wanting to confirm the proper process for this. 

MG_Underwood_1-1683045508238.png

I presume I select them as shown above then delete them. 

Switches 2 and 3 are now empty device connection wise.

sw1-sw5 are all daisy chained via the rear connector ports going from 1to 2, 2 to 3 etc with the second port on sw 5 going back to sw1.

Once they have been removed logically from the stack, Do I then take the cord that is going from 4 into 3  currently and replace the cord going from 2 into 1 with it?

So the cords would now going from switch 4 to switch 1?
basically 
1-->4, 4-->5, then 5 back to 1?

Then in the new space I would link 2 to 3 and vice versa (and very likely rename them) and add them to a new network stack. in the admin center. Am I correct?

I am relatively new to Meraki administration and set up so I apologize if these are total newbie type questions. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance / suggestions you can provide. 

Warm regards,

M.G. Underwood

2 Replies 2
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe the only safe way to do this is the unstack the switches, and rebuild the stack without switches 2 and 3.

Best to confirm the exact steps with support though.

I submitted a support ticket asking for confirmation yesterday and haven't heard back yet so figured I would try community as well. 

-M

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels