Port config overwrite

OmarNts
Conversationalist

Port config overwrite

Hi, how do I completely overwrite a port, without having future changes on the template take effect on that port

It Semmes if a switch is bound to a template you can edit the switch port config and it will not mirror the template, which is the desired outcome. 

but when I try to edit the template on that port it seems some of the configs on the switch port will follow the template

for example Link negotiation, 

RSTP, STP Guard and trusted DAI will follow the template: Not a desired outcome

VLAN name and number will not follow the template- Desired outcome

Thank you 

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When the switch is in the template, some changes can only be made in the template not directly in the network. Take a look at best practices.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
OmarNts
Conversationalist

Thank you for your quick answer.

what Im trying is to achieve this part of documentation in the same link you sent 

Local Overrides

Once a switch has been bound to a template, it can still be configured normally through Dashboard. Any port configuration changes made directly on the switch will override the template configuration, and be reported as a local override. If there is a need to override template configuration on a large scale, it is recommended to keep the the switch port count (with local overrides) per network up to 2500. For better performance on loading the switchport page, reduce the count to 2000. 

In the example below, the bound switch was directly configured to have a custom VLAN set on port 3. In the template network, under Switching > Configure > Switch templates, this configuration change is shown under the Local overrides column:

the problem is only VLAN name and number will be sticky, the other configs like link negotiations will follow the template 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Hi, how do I completely overwrite a port, without having future changes on the template take effect on that port

You can't.  Updates to the template config will always take priority.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels