MS425 vs C9300x

NETADRAD
New here

MS425 vs C9300x

Hello guys, which switch do you recommend to replace a pair of Nexus 5ks. 

Also I'm trying to save on 10G ports, can either options be ok without the cross-connect between the 2 core switches? 

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Difficult question, it will depend a lot on the features you need, keep in mind that compared to the Nexus the MS425 and the C9300 certainly won't have all the features.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Cisco Feature Navigator can help you find a product that is compatible with your business requirements

https://cfnng.cisco.com/browse/switching/features

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As a Consultant, I think it's really hard to propose something useful without knowing almost any of your requirements. Normally, you wouldn't replace a "real" Datacenter switch like Nexus with something in the Catalyst line.

Perhaps if you'd give a little more insight, it'd be easier to help you out.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As has been mentioned above, these switches are not like-for-like in their intended purpose.

N5K's are traditionally datacenter switches.
Meraki and C9300's are typically enterprise switches.

Because of this feature/functionality can be quite different, especially if your N5K's have unified ports.

If you know what your requirements are, feel free to put them here and we might be able to provide some better advice. Otherwise, I suggest engaging a consultant who can look at your environment and better understand what your requirements are.

Bucket
Getting noticed

9300X.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Based on what are you giving this information?

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I have 2 Nexus 5624Q in two data centers and FEX overcross in this two data centers and with vPC in the data centers attached so that I can connect a server in data center one with 2*10 Gig at a Nexus in the same data center and 2*10Gig at the other data center on the FEX of the secons Nexus in the other data center and vice versa. Now I heared that Cisco will soon not sell any Nexus any more an I ask myselfe how to build up this redundant construction with Cisco Cat 9500 or with MS425/450 or anything else.

In your place, I would avoid using a Meraki Switch for a data center, due to limitations, of course.

Cisco Feature Navigator can help you.

https://cfnng.cisco.com/browse/switching/features

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels