MS355-48X switches drop after adding to stack

Robert1974
New here

MS355-48X switches drop after adding to stack

I updated one-by-one each of these ms355's yesterday to ensure they had the proper firmware. today, powered them up one at a time moving the lan cable to each one once i ensured the firmware was still current.

I powered them all down. I stacked them using MA-CBL-100G-50CM cables in the ring as per Meraki best practices.

The one connected to the LAN ethernet cable came back. its partners did not. All but switch-1 has an amber light and is viewed as "unreachable" in the dashboard. The DHCP that delivers them IPs' is coming off a brand new MX105 that is connected to the lab lan cable. The MX105 gets its ethernet WAN configuration fine. It sees our preferred DNS (cisco umbrella), and it is dishing out DHCP on the Native VLAN. The switch that is connected by ethernet to a LAN port on the MX105 is able to see the dashboard. none of the other stack members can.

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I recommend you open a Support case so they can take a look

thanks, already did. figured id keep working on it and see who knows something that i didnt while i wait.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you factory reset them after the upgrade?
I don't know if this is required but it's possible they're still expecting a local uplink to connect to the dashboard (as per their last configuration).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We find that you should have each connected to another when you power up like this to enable the initial stack forming.  We normally have switch 1 to internet switch 2 to switch 1 on a front port that is trunk native VLAN 1, switch 3 to 2 etc.  Soon after powering them all up the front port inter-switch links will start blocking and you can remove them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels