MS-425

jebowman
New here

MS-425

Sorry, meant to say port buffer.

I have a customer that wants to use the MS425 as a ToR switch, over a Dell 4148F in a VxRail environment and have asked for a comparison.  I have never heard of anyone using a meraki as ToR, especially in a VxRail cluster and not sure how it will perform.

5 Replies 5
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Buffer speed?

I've never seen a datasheet say buffer speed, I did see buffer size on Cisco Catalyst switches.

The switching latency however is noted in the datasheet and reads 1.2 microseconds.

Sorry, meant to say port buffer.

I have a customer that wants to use the MS425 as a ToR switch, over a Dell 4148F in a VxRail environment and have asked for a comparison.  I have never heard of anyone using a meraki as ToR, especially in a VxRail cluster and not sure how it will perform.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I see, I'll let this one up for the Meraki employees.

Do mind that the Meraki switch stack is purely LAN.

So it's not designed with datacenter applications in mind.
The sheet does say non-blocking so that's a good start but indeed the buffer size info is missing.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In my experience bigger size only matters when you have different port speeds and are trying to shove too much traffic into a slower port.

Our HCI vendor said we needed buffers greater than 4MB per port for a 10GbE switch and most affordable ones have about 2-3MB per 8-12 ports.  The buffer only smooths massive spikes as any sustained data over a port speed will be dropped anyway.  We have actually found in all cases that the affordable switches cope fine, even when two of the clients are connected at 1GbE.

If you look at the maths a 10GbE port can send 1GB per second so even a dedicated port buffer of 4MB only buffers 4 micro seconds of data.

Brick_Tamland
Conversationalist

Hi, did you end up deploying the mS425 for the VXRail solution? We are planning on doing the same thing and would like to know if you had any performance issues?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.