Layer 3 Switch To Replace ISP Router

Solved
Drew_F
Comes here often

Layer 3 Switch To Replace ISP Router

I read similar topics and think I have a grasp on things but still have a question regarding this scenario and the management IP of the switch performing the ISP routing. The management IP cannot have a gateway of it's own L3 interfaces nor can it be the same IP address as one of those interfaces, correct? So in this scenario would I need to increase the /30 to a /29 so the management IP can be unique? That or have an access port on the management VLAN the connects to the MX LAN? Any help is greatly appreciated.MS350 as Router.png

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is my understanding of the management IP correct and if I’m unable to get a /29 for the WAN segment I’d need to put the management IP on a VLAN with internet access behind the MX?

That is the case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Go for the /29.  It will be reliable and problem free.

Thanks for the quick reply Philip.  Is my understanding of the management IP correct and if I’m unable to get a /29 for the WAN segment I’d need to put the management IP on a VLAN with internet access behind the MX?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is my understanding of the management IP correct and if I’m unable to get a /29 for the WAN segment I’d need to put the management IP on a VLAN with internet access behind the MX?

That is the case.

That is what I thought but just wanted to make sure.  Thanks again!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.