Waiting dial when accessing historical video

EJN
A model citizen

Waiting dial when accessing historical video

Lately, most of the time, but not always, when accessing historical video (recent or longer), the video doesn't load and the time dial stays on screen. See attached.

I wanted to post here before opening a case with support.

Any camera. Access via LAN (green check box). Latest fw. Any browser.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 113352.jpg

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
14 Replies 14
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would open a case

EJN
A model citizen

Case opened and unfortunately we continue to experience this. It does not happen on the iOS app. Only on any browser Windows or Mac. Multiple users reporting the same issue. All on our LAN on wired or wireless connections. Don't know how to troubleshoot and growing frustration.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I checked the case notes for your new case opened today. I think the reasonable next step is to either A) allow Meraki Support access to your camera network for troubleshooting or B) do a webex with Support so they can further diagnose & troubleshoot.

What happens when you attempt to access video from a host not on the LAN? Meaning it depends on cloud proxy to stream video. Does it work then?

Also, what is the DNS server for the clients? An onsite/internal DNS? If you instead configure your client to use 8.8.8.8 just as a test does it change the behavior? There's an underlying DNS process that occurs when the browser attempts to retrieve video on the LAN that could be failing here.

Lastly, using dev tools in your browser can help point to what the underlying issue is. You can invoke the dev tools, attempt to access the video stream and see if any of the calls fail. You can also export that to a HAR file. We often use that when troubleshooting browser streaming issues.

I'll say I have tons of customers using thousands of our cameras across the globe. There's not any systemic issues I'm aware of. So I'm confident this is specific to something in your environment. My advice is keep working with Support and stand firm until they resolve it for you.

EJN
A model citizen

You have given me the most hope in finding resolution to this. Thank you.

I will test from home tonight and report back.

I will also turn on Meraki access.

And I'm all for the WebEx so we can see it real time.

DNS are our internal Windows 2019 DNS server, which relies on our Comcast fiber connection for DNS. How would I change the DNS for the cameras to test?

I will also tests Dev Tools in Chrome. Export to HAR and post?

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

@Ryan_Miles See attached screen shot. Does this help? I see red but cannot decipherScreenshot 2022-02-09 172011.jpg the log.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

Couple more screen shots that may help point this in the right direction.Screenshot 2022-02-09 175351.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-09 175506.jpg

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

One other test. If you view your cameras via the new Vision Portal do the streams work?

EJN
A model citizen

Same problem in Vision Portal.

(I'm very grateful that you are helping me.)

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

Support access is turned on for the cameras.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

Also, iOS app works OK. I can go to past times/dates in the app (while on Meraki WiFi in our LAN).

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Since you enabled Meraki Support access I took a quick look. I'm having no issues with realtime or historical video. I checked a few dozen cameras and no issues. Me being remote that of course means it's using cloud proxy and not local LAN streaming. So, my suspicion is that it's something local either firewall rules, ACLs, or a DNS related issue.

Is there any filtering/blocking between the subnet your PC is on and the camera subnet?

EJN
A model citizen

Another screen shot viewing live attached.

As far as I can tell there is no blocking. Is this something we can test on a WebEx? Are you able to connect or only through the forum here?

Screenshot 2022-02-09 180814.jpg

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

I need to head out now. Will test from home tonight and I suspect it will work OK from home as it did for you. If you can help me with firewall rules, ACLs or DNS that will be appreciated as I'm lost on those.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm not in Support. Just pitching in to try to get this on the track to resolution. Your best bet would be to make contact with the Support engineer that has ownership of your case and continue troubleshooting with them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.