'active' or 'ready'? WAN load balancing disabled but with flow pref

MartinS
Getting noticed

'active' or 'ready'? WAN load balancing disabled but with flow pref

Hi,

I'm seeing what I think is a bug, but one of my colleagues thinks is correct so I'm curious what the wider community thinks please?

Given I have a MX device which has two connected WAN interfaces (1 and 2)

and load balancing is disabled to prefer WAN 1

and I have a flow preference configured to prefer Internet traffic up WAN 2

When I look at the /organizations/:organizationId/appliance/uplink/statuses API endpoint

Then I'm seeing WAN1 as 'active' but WAN2 as 'ready'

My customer thinks this is correct as load balancing is disabled, but my reading of this page:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Appliance_Status/MX_Uplink_Settings

• Active - WAN interface is healthy and is currently being used to send client traffic.
  • Ready - WAN interface is not currently being used but is awaiting failover from the Primary uplink that is configured under Security & SD-WAN > Configure > SD-WAN & traffic shaping > Primary uplink. To configure an active-active load-balancing state, refer to our article on Load Balancing.

I think WAN2 should be 'active' as the flow preference is making WAN2 be 'used to send client traffic'

What does everyone else think please?

---
COO
Highlight - Service Observability Platform
www.highlight.net
2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The status is ready because of load balancing disabled. 

I would not call it a bug.

However i agree the naming and/ or description/documentation should be changed.

MartinS
Getting noticed

I can see what you mean, but to me it would seem a strange mix of an operational state and a configuration state? Maybe I'm a bit Cisco IOS old school in this regard, I like the world of admin up/down and operationally up/down

---
COO
Highlight - Service Observability Platform
www.highlight.net
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.