Z3 device support & performance

BrentB
Comes here often

Z3 device support & performance

Hello,

I am new to Meraki and have an odd question in regards to the Z3 device. We are using one at a location that has gone from just two users with just a couple devices to 5 users with over 20 devices. I know the specs say 5 devices but what would the impact be with more? The reason I am asking is that they are grumbling about it taking 10 seconds to load pages from our server on premise. The Meraki is configured with six vlans and the LAN connection is a trunk port to a Cisco 2960 switch. I am trying to see if the setup could be a part of the problem given the number of users / devices or could there be an issue with the design since this is the first time we have tried something like this. Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Brent

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It can cause issue with CPU utilization, I suggest you to trust on the specifications.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not sure if z3 also report this, but you could check if the utilization is available

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Device_Utilization

If its a z3 performance limitation, you could also think about moving the L3/vlans to the 2960 (if that device support it). Then traffic between vlans do not have to use the z3.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww the Z3 does report this, we have a couple and with two devices connected to them you can get peaks of 50% utilization.  @BrentB I'd suggest you look at the summary report as suggested.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would consider upgrading to something like an MX67.  That sounds like too much load for a Z3.

You could test this.  If you disconnect all but one user and one device does the performance issue go away?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels