Warm Spare / Add secondary uplink

Solved
suneq
Getting noticed

Warm Spare / Add secondary uplink

Hi guys,

I have a topology like this:

suneq_0-1625384604864.png

• MX-1 is the primary appliance, MX-1 is connected to both ISP1 and ISP2 routers
  • MX-2 is the spare appliance, MX-2 is connected to both ISP1 and ISP2 routers
  • The ports Internet 1 of MX-1 and MX-2 are already configured and are operational
  • The ports Internet 2 of MX-1 and MX-2 are not configured yet (ISP2 did not provide the public IPs)

Now I've just received the public IPs from the ISP2 and wanted to configure the ports Internet 2 of both MX. I configured them in:

• Appliance status > Uplink 
  • Spare status > Uplink

I configured all IPs and saved the configuration but nothing displayed :

suneq_1-1625385405531.png

When I clicked on the pencil icon, I could see all the parameters that I configured.

I checked the ARP table but did not found any entries for Internet 2.

I learned from https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

that "Dashboard configuration should always be performed before the Secondary MX is physically connected to the network."

Does it explain the issue that I have? What should I do now to bring up the Internet 2 ports?

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@suneq are the lights on on the WAN ports?

If they are, try plugging a PC into the cable currently in a WAN2 port, set the IP to the same as you have set on the MX and see if you get internet access.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@suneq are the lights on on the WAN ports?

If they are, try plugging a PC into the cable currently in a WAN2 port, set the IP to the same as you have set on the MX and see if you get internet access.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When the configured IP-settings are not visible, then the MX can not use them to reach the dashboard. As already mentioned, first make sure with a PC that these IPs are actually working.

suneq
Getting noticed

Hi @cmr , hi @KarstenI 

You are totally right, the WAN configuration is visible as soon as the ISP fixes their connectivity issue.

I did not have physical access to the device so it took a while to have someone to test. 

Thanks for your great help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.