VMX100 - Can't access Azure VM in other Subnet.

Sam_Brown
Here to help

VMX100 - Can't access Azure VM in other Subnet.

Deployed VNX100 in Azure and connected to existing VPN Mesh. I can ping Azure VMX from on-prem and vice versa.

Created a new VM in a subnet within the VNET and can't ping this. I've configured the subnets on the VPN within the Meraki Portal but no luck. If I move the VM into the same subnet as the VNX works with no issues so somehow the VMX can't talk to the other subnets within the VNET. I've deployed a few other VNA within Azure and don't believe I've ahd this issue before so assuming some additional config I need to make but resources are thin on the ground when it comes to VMX100 so if anyone has any ideas would be appreciated. 

3 Replies 3
JonnyWinter
Here to help

Hey Sam,

Have you configured the Azure Route Table for those other subnets? The steps are outlined in this doc about 3/4 of the way down - https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_Microsoft_Azure

Let me know how you get on. I did two of these recently with a similar outcome to what I think you're intending to have, and it worked well following the guide. 

Jonny.

Yes noticed that. I hadn't added the routing table to the VNET the VM was in. Once I added that I could ping both ways although I'm not getting any internet traffic on the VM for some reason. May need to point to the VMX as the gateway. 

I don't suppose you are aware of any documentation for configuring a DMZ within Azure with a VMZ at all? 

Hey Sam,

Yeah, everything should route via the route table. So, it should be your default gateway for clients & the MX. It's a little bit old now, but this has stood the test of time 😉https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prp9HrBjG14&ab_channel=SteveVTSftw The YouTuber goes through the setup which may help. 

Not sure RE DMZ setup, maybe a new post may attract someone that does - or call Meraki and they may be able to provide some information to you. Hope this all helps.

Jonny.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.