Printers Unable to Communicate Across VLANs with Static IP Assignment

AdnanKhan
Here to help

Printers Unable to Communicate Across VLANs with Static IP Assignment

Hello

I'm experiencing an issue with my Meraki network where printers assigned static IP addresses aren't able to communicate across inter-VLANs. Strangely, everything works perfectly fine when the printers are set to obtain IP addresses via DHCP. I've conducted packet tracer tests, and it seems that traffic is reaching the port on the switch and receiving responses. Interestingly, pinging the devices from the same network isn't yielding any responses either. Users within the same VLAN as the printers can connect to them without any issues.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with Meraki networks? Any insights or troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

22 Replies 22
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's connected across WiFi?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Mandatory DHCP

Mandatory DHCP requires client devices use DHCP for IP assignment. All 802.11ac Wave 2 capable MR access points running MR 26.0 firmware or later support this feature.

Enabled: Wireless clients associated to an AP (either new associations or clients that roamed from another AP) that have not requested a DHCP address are placed in a blocked state and are not able to send any traffic on LAN and WAN.

Disabled: The default setting for this feature. Wireless clients configured with static IPs are not required to request a DHCP address.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Access_Control#Mandatory_DHCP

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I have mandatory DHCP enable on VLAN that printers are as well as on AP, and users VLAN

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@AdnanKhan if you have mandatory DHCP enabled and then set a static IP on the device it will not connect.  You should use Fixed IP assignment in the DHCP scope to achieve this, or disable mandatory DHCP.

AdnanKhan
Here to help

No, the printers are connected to MS125 ports, not via WiFi. They are connected directly to the network switch.

So make sure you have configured the correct Gateway on the printer.

Troubleshooting VLAN Printer Sharing Issue on Meraki Network - The Meraki Community

I do have the correct gateway pointing to VLAN default ip 

Who is the network's default gateway (ie: an L3 switch, an MX?).

VLAN interface IP is the default gateway for these printers. 

Another question, you are not setting any VLAN when you configure the static IP on the printers, right?

That's correct, VLANs are not configured on the printers themselves when assigning static IP addresses. VLAN configuration is managed at the network level under MX."

AdnanKhan
Here to help

I can ping any other device just not these 3 printers I have in this office. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some devices dont respond to ping.

If you can print within the same vlan, but cant ping them from a client in that same vlan, then they just dont respond to ping.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MS125s aren't routing switches...   How are you routing between the two VLANs?   I'm wondering if this is multicast discovery-related?  Something along these lines?   https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/Configuring_Bonjour_forwarding_for_the_MX_Security_...

My understanding is that Banjour is a protocol that leverages mDNS for network discovery of other Bonjour enabled devices. Only apply to Apple devices. These are 2 Xerox and 1 HP printer. Printing from Win11 machines. 
I can get to any other device across any VLAN just not these devices. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I'm experiencing an issue with my Meraki network where printers assigned static IP addresses aren't able to communicate across inter-VLANs.

#1 issue - wrong subnet mask on printer.

#2 issue - wrong default gateway configured on printer.

Are you 100% sure these are both correct?

Another easy solution - keep using DHCP but make a DHCP reservation for the printer.

I have confirm 
#1. subnet mask is correct on the printer. 

#2. default gateway is configured correct on the printers. 
I even had Meraki Support look into my network to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. But after spending an hr of troubleshooting they think it's the printers. I got tech from Xerox coming out tomorrow to see if they have an answer. I personally don't think this is the case. 

I did the DHCP reservation for these printers from the switch port earlier, which seems to be working for now. 

I am new to Meraki. This is the first office we converted to Meraki from traditional Cisco gears. This is a small office with less than 50 users with very basic network. Hopping to iron out all the issues before moving our bigger offices under Meraki with lot more complexity. 

AdnanKhan
Here to help

Thanks everyone for trying to help me with this issue. If I find the answer I will post it here. 

Since I am new to Meraki. I am sure I'll be back 🤖 with other issues. 😂

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Jumping on this late but assume you’ve hooked your laptop into the same printer port and given yourself the same IP etc and tested that way?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thank you. 

I didn't but we did move the printers to different ports on the switch and on the patch panel also on different VLANs just to roll out any hiccup with ports but no go. Seems working fine since we switch the NIC to DHCP. Using Meraki switch DHCP reserve option to keep the same IP address like PhillipDath mention earlier in this post.

Just go to devices tab  and then  clic on Fixed IP for that device and the DHCP will always assign the same ip for that device

Mike6116_0-1710459700315.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels