Perform 1to1 Swap on MX devices

ksumann
Getting noticed

Perform 1to1 Swap on MX devices

Is it possible to keep device specific settings when swapping a broken MX?
I want to keep static uplink settings, hostname, location, devices notes...

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can clone the current network and add this new device to that network, but you should not enable auto VPN to avoid problems.

But honestly the swap is so simple that I don't even know if it's worth it. At the very least, I would keep the firewall updated to the same version as the current one.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Add the second as a warm spare, this will require a different WAN IP, but the other setting largely stay.

Then remove the one you don't want and the new will become the primary.  You can then set the WAN IP if it was previously a static IP.

Malwina
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

For additional reference to the previous replies in the thread see https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

Maybe some guidance there will be helpful! 

ksumann
Getting noticed

- Network cloning
The mentioned device settings are not preserved when cloning a network.
For example we wanted to use the notes field for additional Information for our support crew. We cannot use "network notes" because network notes do not exists when a template is bound to network

- Warm-Spare
Worth a try and would keep most settings.
Sadly not working for non-mx devices

Thanks for your suggestions

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels