Official Updated Throughput for MX 18.20X Posted

Mloraditch
Building a reputation

Official Updated Throughput for MX 18.20X Posted

One of my reps just pointed this out to me:
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Sizing_Information/MX_Sizing_Principles#Performance_Data

Full Gig with Security Services on an MX75!

The MX85 has become a very confusing SKU at the moment. MX75 exceeds it in all BW categories but is lesser than it for maximum clients/vpns and related specs.

I'm hoping this is a chipset difference thing that was coded for one set of SKUs and is still in progress otherwise.

10 Replies 10
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The hope is that performance improvements will also come to MX85/95/105 in future releases. I have no detail beyond that for build numbers or dates. 

Hey Ryan,
I didn't know where else to submit this and landed here when looking for clarity.
This MX85 Datasheet displays the Advanced Security Throughput for the MX85 in two different sections: "Context and Comparisons" and "Throughput and Capabilities".
It has different values in each section. Same for the MX75.
I assume this is due to updated testing benchmarks and the MX 18.20X update. I understand these are from benchmark tests and can't be expected to be 100% accurate overall, but 300mbps could be the difference between a happy customer or an annoyed one.
Thank you!

Hi ,

This was also reported. Meraki is aware of that , they are going to fix the documentation.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suspect the MX75 is the high end of the slimline form factor and the MX85 is the entry level rack mount model which is why the MX85 has lower specs.

That is just my observation I don't know for sure. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good spotting.  That is great to know.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to be running 18.207 for these numbers, but I'm not sure I like the current known issues:

Known issues

• Due to an MX 18.2 regression, MX appliances summarize AutoVPN routes advertised through BGP without being configured to do so.
  • Due to issues under investigation, MX95 and MX105 appliances may see performance reductions ranging from 10-20% when compared to MX 18.205.
  • There is an increased risk of encountering device stability and performance issues on all platforms and across all configurations.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just did a real quick test on an MX75.  I got 800Mb/s on 18.107.7, upgraded to 18.207 and got the same result.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same as my MX68 running 18.207 ( no AMP / IDS,IPS ) just normal firewall throughput

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MX75 I upgraded to 18.207 ran for 19 minutes and then crashed ... reverting that upgrade.

> no AMP / IDS,IPS

I had everything enabled.

I upgraded my MX95 to 18.205 (or 6) at the time and it caused my CPU usage to go up to 100%. Since there isn't a way to check the CPU, I only caught it because of the summary report showing 100% utilization. I'm sure it would have eventually crashed. I'm still hesitant to move up to 18.207 because of that. I ended up rolling back to 18.107.7 and it was fine again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels