Non-Meraki VPN; proxy id's, .. how to specify NEAR subnets ?! <shrugs shoulders>

Solved
mpgioia
Here to help

Non-Meraki VPN; proxy id's, .. how to specify NEAR subnets ?! <shrugs shoulders>

I have a basic setup.

4 x Meraki MX's across 4 sites.  All talking to each other via Meraki S-2-S VPN.

Under ../manage/configure/vpn_settings I have the networks propagated with the drop down of 'VPN participation' : 'On'... they are two wide /16 networks.

One of those four Meraki sites.  has an additional peer to a Non-Meraki VPN implementation.

I have three new routes (3 x more specific /24's in those greater /16 network's defined above) defined on the MX interfaces so I can also set the 'VPN participation' : 'On' for them too.

Set up the peer as per normal. 

Here's the kicker. The far end implementation is seeing Phase 1 pass no probs, and even Phase 2, but then complaining of propagated proxy id's. 

It's seeing one of the wide /16 networks. 

Half understandable.. because.. for some reason.. we can't specify NEAR subnets in the non-meraki VPN peer setup ? Only FAR subnets ? (via the 'private subnets' field) ?!

Surely, there's a way to do this...

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agreed @mpgioia it is a pain.  I sometimes add in a Cisco ASA/router to a solution just to cover off this case when their is anything more complex than "simple" site to site VPNs.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The near end subnets are the same as the subnets marked an "in VPN" for the AutoVPN section. You can't specify a different set for each VPN type. 

I'm going to have to get the other side to add them in.. (very silly/limiting), and then i'll firewall out the traffic.

.. This is commoditised IPSEC S-2-S capability.. amazed you can't have a NEAR/FAR specified set per peer..

You can have FAR per peer.. but not NEAR.. :facepalm

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agreed @mpgioia it is a pain.  I sometimes add in a Cisco ASA/router to a solution just to cover off this case when their is anything more complex than "simple" site to site VPNs.

Surely the two of you have raised this as 'make a wish' or whatever that feature is in the console/dashboard ? Or is there an 'ideation' area in the community for such a thing ?

How do we get Meraki to inject this into its development cadence.  The merit is blindingly obvious to attack..

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I personally have not... I don't disagree with you on this, but my wish list has other items on it that are more important to me. But, I can certainly toss a wish in to help your cause along 🙂

I can do it.. No biggie.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The more wishes the better the visibility 🙂

If you have a Meraki rep you deal with make sure they hear this too. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.