MX Internet redundancy

Solved
pcanters
Comes here often

MX Internet redundancy

Question about how I can accomplish internet redundancy on an MX appliance when my second WAN/ISP is an internal BGP route on the core switch that the MX is connected to ?

I would have an MX with an internet connection plugged into WAN1. The idea is that when WAN1 goes down or things become unreachable on the WAN1 interface, I then dynamically route things back to the inside core switch rather than WAN 2 where I have a default route from an MPLS network to get me to the second ISP. 

Not sure this is possible.

Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this ?

I have thought about plugging WAN 2 back into the core switch but unless I can leverage dynamic routing from the MX to the core switch dependent on WAN1 being present, I cant define an default route on the core as it would never allow traffic to transit out the MPLS WAN 

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

In this case, IP SLA is the best way in my opinion.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I assumed that the gateway for your local LAN is the switch core, right? What is de model of your switch? Maybe you can create a route map on this switch.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Yes...Switch core is default gateway for all vlans. It is a cisco 3850 so I could old school use object tracking there with IP SLA to get around the Meraki not being able to do this. The other thought is to take the MPLS and plug it into WAN2 but then I have probable BGP routing issues with advertising my local networks

In this case, IP SLA is the best way in my opinion.

I kind of agree. As much as I wish I could do this on the Meraki MX, it's not really designed to handle this network setup. Thanks for the response

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels