Latency

NA_CCIE
Here to help

Latency

Hello Community

How can explain please what is the diffrence between 50% latency and 90% latency?

7 Replies 7
Network-dad
A model citizen

40%....lol Latency in regards to what?

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

Between  MX and his remote peer

The Latency graph shows the latency in a 50th Percentile, 90th Percentile, or a Histogram View. In the Histogram view, hovering over a box will give you details for that time period. The 50% option shows the median round-trip time for pings used to monitor the site-to-site VPN connection. The 90% option will show you the results of the top 10% of pings.

Typically, use the 50% option to view the average, the 90% option to view spikes in latency over the time period, and the histogram view to get detailed data for a specific time within the time period. When there are network problems (like poor voice quality) that can be related to latency, the 90% or histogram views will help troubleshoot whether those events correlate to VPN latency issues. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/VPN_Status_Page

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2

I dis read what you wrote in the Meraki documentation, but I did not got it 😁

If you can explain it to me differently, it gonna be great

Thank you 🙂

Top 10% may be confusing here. It's the 10% highest, i.e. worst latencies. You can also look at it like this: how high do I need to set the latency bar to catch 90% of the results. 90% of the actual latencies will be at or better than the value shown in that 90% graph. 50% of the actual latencies will be at or better than the value shown in that 50% graph.

It therefore also makes sense that the value shown for 90th will be a worse latency i.e. a higher value than the 50th percentile.

Agreed @Network-dad ?

Yes @BrechtSchamp  thank you for breaking that down more!

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2

Thank you!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.