Large fleet with template and scaling challenges

Heller
Conversationalist

Large fleet with template and scaling challenges

Looking or some guidance on where our org should go with scaling. For background, our org consists of several MX450s with many Meraki Z3s in the field that AutoVPN to the MX450. For the most part, templates have worked fine for deployements, but as the MX units reach capacity, we have to create an entirely new template to accommodate the addition of a new MX. I've heard "use the API" a lot, which I would love to, but my coding skills are basic at best. 

What is the best approach for me to continue deploying Z3/MXs, maintaining the autoVPN functionality, and keep unique subnets at all locations?

4 Replies 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

You might browse this Meraki marketplace and see if there are any prebuilt tools that could help you: https://apps.meraki.io

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Check this one in particular: https://apps.meraki.io/details/boundless-i-configuration

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Sounds like your question is more about the architecture rather than a limitation or concern with templates or API?

You can create & copy a template. Then just edit the hub(s) you're pointing Z3s to. Then it would just be about managing the overall scope size and per Z3 address allotment if you're concerned about IP schema efficiency. Are you concerned with managing the per network addressing or just letting the auto assignment part of templates do its thing?

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Heller
Conversationalist

Thanks for the reply!

I am not concerned with IP space. The biggest issue is having to create a new template for adding a concentrator. If there was an option in meraki's dashboard that could evenly distribute spokes to available VPN concentrators/MX I wouldn't have an issue. As of now, every time our MX450s hit usage capacity for spokes (around 1500) we have to add another to the environment. It wouldn't seem like a huge deal, but we hit this capacity in a few months. For our address management, the templates work great plucking a /29 from a /16. Never any overlap or internal DB to manage 😄 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.