Is the MX75 Internet 1 ports capable to power an MG21-E over POE?

Solved
alfadave
Comes here often

I'm planning a MX75 with a fibre circuit with a backup LTE via an MG21-E but its unclear in all documents if Internet3 port is POE capable to power the MG21-E or if I need a POE injector too.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

1 Accepted Solution

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Overviews_and_Specifications/MX75_Datasheet

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The internet port (WAN) is intended for the internet link. No, it does not have POE, only ports 12 and 13.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @alfadave,

Unfortunately only the MX85, 95 and 105 have PoE on a WAN port.  I guess the power supply on the MX75 couldn't handle it alongside the PoE on ports 12 and 13 mentioned by @alemabrahao above.

alfadave
Comes here often

Is this a meraki certainty? or assumption?  I ask as I have many Meraki existing MX68's with MG21-E's too and a don't remember ever ordering poe injectors for those setups but cannot prove how they are powered from the gui..

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Overviews_and_Specifications/MX75_Datasheet

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Likely with a small PoE switch between the MX and the MG?

Yes, Very frustrating that the one box solution isn't available from Meraki..

The MX68 with a SFP slot was all I wanted, now I need MX75+poe adapter/entireswitch+MG21-e + an MR of some sort for some wifi  (purely due to no sfp slot)  or go back to 1995 and put in a unmanged media convertor with an MX68..

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think the MX85 gives you all you want, PoE on the WAN and SFP on the LAN, I guess the price is too much?

I have customers that power a MG from a MX LAN port. See my deck for the design guidelines https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1yRjifi0x4oeBARk-oagAj92RIwxu5EfQcuVquVeElr4/edit?usp=sharing

yes I saw someone else online with this, but I wanted HA but with 1 MG going to 2 MX's. so on a MX75 that uses both data ports with no poe, meaning I couldn't do your approach.  I will have to propose MX85 but as its a pair its pricey.

Gotcha. You could maybe hack it by placing MX ports 11 & 12 on a dedicated VLAN. Port 12 powers MG and port 11 loops to WAN 2. Total hack though and not a recommended/supported design.

Otherwise a regular power adapter or injector is the lowest cost way to go.

@Ryan_Miles Is there any documentation regarding Warm-Spare designs with using the MX85 WAN ports for PoE?  I have a single MG51 setup, both LAN ports on it are going to the WAN2 ports on the MX85 (primary and secondary). Only one port ever gets PoE, and so when that FW goes down, the MG51 goes down with it until the other connection from the other FW kicks in and starts to provide PoE. Not ideal, because it causes a 3-5 min outage while waiting for the MG51 to boot back up (or however long it takes). Opening a support case now to figure this out. Would be great if both WAN2 ports were able to provide PoE at the same time so there is no outage created.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

The MG only draws power from one source (eth port) at a time. No way around that today.

I figured as much. Thank you for the information. Do you know if there's any plans for adding that in the future? I assume its simple not possible but figured I would ask lol

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

No idea. Not sure if it's a firmware or hardware thing to make that work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels