Internet Utilization on MX

Solved
IntrovertEngg
Getting noticed

Internet Utilization on MX

Suppose at one site client has 300 MB FTTH Line and client needs to know how much of that line BW is actually getting utilized so they can decide whether to downgrade or upgrade BW?

Now when I see the utilization numbers in Meraki Appliance - I see something like 400 kbps per second or 1.2 mbps per second. Available vs Utilization Gap is way too drastic but not sure how much this sounds realistic? I mean I understand that circuit won't remain heavily utilized per second basis but it becomes bit difficult to address it to business about this thing. What's your take on this ? Does Meraki uses some different logic to calculate BW utilization, do they average it by some means or it straightforward as below and it is actual real use?

Screenshot 2024-03-06 185745.png

1 Accepted Solution
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I personnally wouldn't not trust that data for 2 reasons. 

1- It's not only WAN usage but inter-vlan usage ( anything that passes through the MX )

2- The stats are averaged , so you don't really see the real peaks. 

If possible I would configure the correct traffic shaping ( 300 Up , 300 Down ) and I would use Meraki Insight - WAN Health. You will receive alerts when WAN usage > 80% of your 300/300Mbps link. 

However the download and upload data ( 1.13GB and 250MB ) is pretty low for a typical work day. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I personnally wouldn't not trust that data for 2 reasons. 

1- It's not only WAN usage but inter-vlan usage ( anything that passes through the MX )

2- The stats are averaged , so you don't really see the real peaks. 

If possible I would configure the correct traffic shaping ( 300 Up , 300 Down ) and I would use Meraki Insight - WAN Health. You will receive alerts when WAN usage > 80% of your 300/300Mbps link. 

However the download and upload data ( 1.13GB and 250MB ) is pretty low for a typical work day. 

Hi Raphael, Thanks for the suggestion, it helps. Apparently Meraki Insight costs a bomb hence unfortunately not able to explore that. Only thing is even if it shows inter-vlan usages clubbed, still uplink traffic per second utilization seems ridiculously low. Lets see... 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels