DHCP on MX

CashG
Getting noticed

DHCP on MX

Our main location uses a MX84 and our branch locations use MX64. I've had some issues with older devices on the MX84 getting DHCP. I'm just trying to figure out why and what I can do to maybe get them to work.

So on the MX84 I don't have any issues with computers or cameras or printers getting DHCP. However the first time I had an issue is with a Cisco ATA192. It would not get DHCP, but if I went to another location with the MX64 it would. I then figured out if I manually update the firmware of the ATA192 it would then work properly.

My issue now is I have a old credit card machine, ingenico iCT220, that will not get DHCP. I've had a newer model work fine. My guess is that if I take it to a location with the MX64 it will work.

There is an event log where it attempts to get a DHCP lease but its like it just doesnt stick.

Also I can not set a static IP on this machine because it is owned by the CC company. 

I'm just trying to understand why this is.

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry, but I can't see this having an MX issue. Is your card machine connecting via Wifi?

What type of authentication are you using, is your Wifi also Meraki?
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

No this is not on Wifi. Like I stated it seems to be older out of date devices. With the ATA192 I had no issues with DHCP on the MX64 but would not get DHCP on the MX84 until I did a firmare upgrade on the ATA192 and then it worked fine. I've tried 3 differnt iCT220 on the MX84 and none would get DHCP but a newer model (I don't remember the exact model) would get DHCP just fine. I'm thinking about taking it to a location with a MX64 and trying it.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And if you connect directly to the MX, is the problem the same?

Did you do a packet capture?

I still don't see it as an MX problem.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I tried the MX64 and same issue. Directly connecting is the same thing. I would have to time a packet capture. When iCT220 is plugged in you can see an event log of it trying to give it a DCHP lease with all the correct IP, subnet, and DNS but its like the iCT220 won't accept it. Like I said the iCT220 is a very old model and even the CC company said they wont try to do much with it since its so old.  I even tried to set static info in the MX using the iCT220 MAC. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does anything appear in the Meraki event log?

When the DHCP fails - does it in fact shows as having done the lease to the device in the Meraki dashboard?

Try changing it to be a static DHCP reservation.  This changes the negotiation behaviour.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels