Connecting 2 MXs via the LAN

I have 2 MXs

MX64 uplink 1 to Comcast Business via static IP

Subnet 192.168.0.0/24

Connected on the LAN to Dell PowerConnect 2848 Layer 2 Switch

MX250 Uplink to Xfinity via DHCP IP

Subnet: 10.0.0.0/24

Connected on LAN to Dell PowerConnect 2824 Layer 2 Switch

Is there away to connect the 2 subnets via the LAN side so that I can RDP from one subnet to the other?

Everything I have tried fails to work.

1 Accepted Solution

This is the basics of routing.

You don't need to use source based route.

For example, let's assume you have the 192.168.10.0/24 network on MX1 and the 192.168.20.0/24 network on MX2.

The first thing is to create a link vlan on both MXs, for example the 10.10.10.0/30 network (VLAN 99) where MX1 will have IP 10.10.10.1 and MX2 will have IP 10.10.10.2.

If MX1 wants to reach MX2's network, just create a route pointing to the link IP of MX2 as the next hop.

So it would look like this, to reach the network 192.168.20.0/24 the next hop is IP 10.10.10.2

Very simple, for the MX2 just do it in reverse, to get to the 192.168.10.0/24 network the next hop is 10.10.10.1

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
eastoscar
Here to help

Hi,

you need to implement a transfer network (can be a /30 subnet) and configure a static route on each MX.

regards

Not sure how to do it.  I tried creating a VLAN on each device and then using source based default routes.  But could not access anything on opposite device.  The event log would list ip conflicts.

Couldn't use the static route because it would give an error that static routes cannot include VLANS.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can create a link network (transit network) between the two MXes and then create static routes to the target networks on each MX

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Not sure how to accomplish this.  I tried VLANs and source based static routes.  Connecting LAN ports between MXs.  Couldn't use static routes because it would list an error that static routes can include VLANs.

Downstream switches are layer 2 Dell PowerConnect.

This is the basics of routing.

You don't need to use source based route.

For example, let's assume you have the 192.168.10.0/24 network on MX1 and the 192.168.20.0/24 network on MX2.

The first thing is to create a link vlan on both MXs, for example the 10.10.10.0/30 network (VLAN 99) where MX1 will have IP 10.10.10.1 and MX2 will have IP 10.10.10.2.

If MX1 wants to reach MX2's network, just create a route pointing to the link IP of MX2 as the next hop.

So it would look like this, to reach the network 192.168.20.0/24 the next hop is IP 10.10.10.2

Very simple, for the MX2 just do it in reverse, to get to the 192.168.10.0/24 network the next hop is 10.10.10.1

Additionally, you need to create a link VLAN on the switch and configure two switch ports for access mode in this VLAN (one for each MX).

And then select a port from each MX and configure it in access mode on that same VLAN and connect to the switch.

Now you have a link network.

Thanks for helping the old septuagenarian shade-tree IT guy.  It works:-) 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels