Can I pass a broadcast between subnets?

Solved
jotech
Here to help

Can I pass a broadcast between subnets?

Strange question I know. And I figure broadcasts are designed to only be sent over one subnet and defeats the purpose of seperating into multiple vlans.

We have a few KVM switches on our network (one IP address is 192.168.10.10/24). I am connecting to the KVM through a client on my computer (my computer is in a different subnet with the address 192.168.50.10/24). I have set up firewall rules so I can access the KVM just fine. Everything works as expected there.

The KVM client I run on my computer has the ability to display a list of all known KVMs on the network to allow for easy selection without having to type in the IP address. I can see all the KVMs if I connect my computer to the first subnet. But because I am on a different subnet the list of known KVMs isn't populated. Again, I can type in the IP address and connect. This would purely be a quality of life improvement.

I don't actually know how this works in the background, but I assume there is some broadcast being sent across the network. And it is not able to cross over the subnets. That would make sense. I have also contacted the supplier of the KVM client software to see if there is anything they can do on their side.

But I thought to ask here as well just in case there is any other way around this problem from the router side. Or I am being completely wrong about the broadcast being the cause of the issue.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This will be a fundamental limitation in the design of the KVM.  Multicast discovery (which can work over different subnets) would have been the correct technology for this kind of feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could try this, and select "all services"  between the vlans. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/Bonjour_Forwarding

jotech
Here to help

Thank you for the quick reply.

Unfortunately this didn't work. I assume because the KVMs aren't using Bonjour, but that might be a question for the developers of the software.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Bonjour used mDNS, so it would only forward multicast frames.

It sounds like you KVM software might use a different discover method.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This will be a fundamental limitation in the design of the KVM.  Multicast discovery (which can work over different subnets) would have been the correct technology for this kind of feature.

Absolutely makes sense. As I said, I figured it was worth an ask just incase there was something magical I could do router side.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels