Azure vmx100 routing between vnets and on-premise

AndyTsai
Just browsing

Azure vmx100 routing between vnets and on-premise

Hi,

We deploy a vmx100 in Azure vnet1 with site-to-site VPN between our locations. We also create a Azure vnet2 with vnet-to-vnet connection to vnet1. Is it possible to route our on-premise traffic to vnet2 through vmx100 in vnet1? 

thanks for any contribution.

6 Replies 6
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Create a route table in VNET2 that points to your vMX's IP with the appropriate subnets configured. Make sure your on-prem router knows to route the VNET2 subnet through the VPN tunnel and make sure you have the VNET2 subnet configured on the vMX. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

thank you Mrcur.

That's what I did but still not work.

But if changing vnet-to-vnet connection to vnet peering, it works immediately and my on-prem can ping to vnet2 without issues.

what type of changes has been done in peering . please share or explain. 

what type of changes has been done in peering option ?

I'm having the exact same problem, I've done what was suggested but it's not working.

How do you enable vnet peering?

Finally Azure allow peering between different subscription and I can implement my desired routing easy by vnet peering.

I followed the instruction below to set up peering between different subscription and create a routing table attached to vnetB to direct traffic to vmx100 in vnetA. I also defined vnetB subnet in vmx100 site2site vpn setting as one of the local network.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-network-peering-overview

Andy

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.