3 WAN Circuits on a Meraki SDWAN HA Pair

JR4
Comes here often

3 WAN Circuits on a Meraki SDWAN HA Pair

Hi, interested to know if a Meraki SDWAN HA pair can be used to connect 3 separate WAN circuits; in this case 2 internet circuits on a device, and a single MPLS on the secondary?

Many thanks for any help/suggestions 🙂

4 Replies 4
Malwina
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi!

Two active uplinks are supported at a time on a primary MX and additional uplinks should be utilized for tertiary failover on the secondary MX.

One or two additional uplinks may be configured on the secondary MX and will become active only when all uplinks on the primary MX fail or when a hardware failure occurs on the primary MX (these additional uplinks connected to the secondary MX can be part of a different IP subnet than the uplinks on the primary MX)

JR4
Comes here often

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @JR4 , that design won’t work if you’re wanting to use all 3 circuits at the same time as you can only have 2 active circuits on the Active MX.  The third circuit on the Passive MX won’t pass traffic till it becomes Primary.

You would have to create two networks and have a single MX in each. Then you could connect all your circuits (2 into one MX and 1 cct into the other).  You will lose your HA element however.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
JR4
Comes here often

Thank you for the advice; we would not be looking to use 3 circuits simultaneously, we would have the mpls as primary and failover to the secondary mx if this failed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.