Synology NAS with 6 LAN Ports on GS110-48P Switch

Solved
rising_income
Here to help

Synology NAS with 6 LAN Ports on GS110-48P Switch

Hello together,

I just set up my GS110-48P Switch and I understand this model still does not feature Link Aggregation – not even Static Link Aggregation. Is that correct?

I am running a Synology NAS with 6 LAN ports which I have combined to a Bond and I am now looking for the correct mode to set for the Bond. I assume this would be "Adaptive Load Balancing"?

Is there anything I have to observe when connecting the LAN ports to the switch? Can I use connect all 6 Ports or am I limited in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Accepted Solution
Xydocq
A model citizen

Hello @rising_income 

The Meraki Go switches do not support LACP IEEE 802.3ad or Static Link Aggregation.

"Adaptive Load Balancing" would be the way to go. This also works if you connect one port to a router and another to a switch on the same network. It doesn't depend on special hardware.

Keep in mind, you don't get 6 times the speed of 1Gbit/s. Even your Synology NAS will tell you so. The only thing you'll get is more bandwith. It's like a road with 6 lanes but still the same speedlimit.

I use a different setup with a NAS on my network. The NAS has only 4 ports. 2 ports are bound for data-access. the other two ports are not bound, one is used for virtual-switch and the other for access to the GUI of the NAS.

Personally I would add a max of 4 ports to a bond.

Hope this helps

Cheers 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Xydocq
A model citizen

Hello @rising_income 

The Meraki Go switches do not support LACP IEEE 802.3ad or Static Link Aggregation.

"Adaptive Load Balancing" would be the way to go. This also works if you connect one port to a router and another to a switch on the same network. It doesn't depend on special hardware.

Keep in mind, you don't get 6 times the speed of 1Gbit/s. Even your Synology NAS will tell you so. The only thing you'll get is more bandwith. It's like a road with 6 lanes but still the same speedlimit.

I use a different setup with a NAS on my network. The NAS has only 4 ports. 2 ports are bound for data-access. the other two ports are not bound, one is used for virtual-switch and the other for access to the GUI of the NAS.

Personally I would add a max of 4 ports to a bond.

Hope this helps

Cheers 

Thank you @Xydocq, that is helpful!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.