WAN MAC address control?

LevAnni
New here

WAN MAC address control?

Hi folks!

Is there any way to change the MAC address of the WAN interface? I thought maybe I could do it through SSH, but I couldn't log in with the same credentials I used for web interface.

I want to try this device to replace my current router which has its WAN MAC address registered to ISP. Otherwise it can't obtain IP address by just plugging the cable to one of its WAN interface.

Thanks

7 Replies 7
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thats not possible.

Maybe its possible for the isp to change the registered mac

Well, that's why I don't respect devices that depend on cloud account etc...

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't think this has anything to do with it, the problem is that your ISP has this control via MAC, which in my opinion doesn't make sense since you are paying and could use it with whatever device you want.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Agree unless it's a ISP supplied and managed firewall you should be able to use whatever device you want. I would simply call your ISP and ask them to remove that restriction. If they decline it's time to find a new ISP. 

Unfortunately in some countries people don't have such opportunities to instantly pick a different ISP in case they experience minor technical issues like this.

That is not a problem, I can contact my ISP and ask them to change the MAC, it's the fact itself that I can't change it myself makes me feel kind of limited. Thanks god I didn't bought it just have been testing for a while. If I had spent $2000 for it, I'd return it two times!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Over the last five years that the community has been running, you have been the only person who has requested the capability to change a WAN interface MAC address.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.