Can't ping gateway from test VLAN

BSD54
Comes here often

Can't ping gateway from test VLAN

I am trying to get our new Layer 3 Meraki up and running.  I am having an issue with the test VLAN I set up not able to ping the gateway.  I am not sure what I am missing.  I can ping google from the management VLAN but not VLAN100.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 120744.png

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any ACL applied?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Another question, what source are you trying to ping from? from another machine within the network?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your internet router does not know the way back to your test vlan subnet

BSD54
Comes here often

Here is a sketch of my network.  We are just trying to get the new layer 3 up and running broadcasting its' own VLAN so we know everything is working.  This is my first experience getting a layer 3 switch up and running.  I was handed this network so didn't have any part of the original setup.  Is having the new Meraki Layer 3 running with the Catalyst Layer 3 messing it up. On the Meraki if I ping google from the 172.18.28.4 interface it works great.  If I ping google from the 10.124.100.1 interface I get nothing.

NetworkMap (1).jpg

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your router needs a route back for 10.124.100/24 to next hop 172.18.28.4

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you say "gateway", which specific gateway can "it" not ping?  Also what is "it" (what are you doing the ping from - the MS?)

Does the Meraki MS have a default gateway pointing to 172.28.18.1?

Can the MS ping 172.28.18.1?

Does everything have the correct subnet mask?

CFStevens
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @BSD54 ,  

As others have stated, it would be best to know what your source IP address of the pings will be as well as the destination IP you are trying to ping. I agree with @ww in that it would be best to double check and confirm you have a return route from your upstream router to the downstream subnet you are pinging from. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.