Can't ping gateway from test VLAN

BSD54
Comes here often

Can't ping gateway from test VLAN

I am trying to get our new Layer 3 Meraki up and running.  I am having an issue with the test VLAN I set up not able to ping the gateway.  I am not sure what I am missing.  I can ping google from the management VLAN but not VLAN100.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 120744.png

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any ACL applied?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Another question, what source are you trying to ping from? from another machine within the network?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your internet router does not know the way back to your test vlan subnet

BSD54
Comes here often

Here is a sketch of my network.  We are just trying to get the new layer 3 up and running broadcasting its' own VLAN so we know everything is working.  This is my first experience getting a layer 3 switch up and running.  I was handed this network so didn't have any part of the original setup.  Is having the new Meraki Layer 3 running with the Catalyst Layer 3 messing it up. On the Meraki if I ping google from the 172.18.28.4 interface it works great.  If I ping google from the 10.124.100.1 interface I get nothing.

NetworkMap (1).jpg

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your router needs a route back for 10.124.100/24 to next hop 172.18.28.4

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you say "gateway", which specific gateway can "it" not ping?  Also what is "it" (what are you doing the ping from - the MS?)

Does the Meraki MS have a default gateway pointing to 172.28.18.1?

Can the MS ping 172.28.18.1?

Does everything have the correct subnet mask?

CFStevens
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @BSD54 ,  

As others have stated, it would be best to know what your source IP address of the pings will be as well as the destination IP you are trying to ping. I agree with @ww in that it would be best to double check and confirm you have a return route from your upstream router to the downstream subnet you are pinging from. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.