Web Content Filter Bug?

newman
Conversationalist

Web Content Filter Bug?

Hello all,

We have a few hundred iPads for a client that we have customized using Meraki and we have been trying to configure whitelisting for one of their webpages that creates a "3D Fireworks Show Builder" and launches it in a new window and it will not work with the the Web Content Filter.

The web URL is www.tntfireworks.com. The feature we're trying to make work is called "3D Show Builder". By navigating to the URL, tapping on 3D Show Builder in the top menu, scrolling down until you see the line items for "Corruption", "Opening Show", and "Allegiance" and clicking "Add to Show", it will usually prompt a button to Watch the 3D show and it does this perfectly without whitelisting.

I have looked at each of the URLS involved for this website feature that is used and I have attempted to whitelist the following URLS with no luck:

Is there a wildcard (*) feature I can use for whitelisting that will cover every possible sub URL for tntfireworks.com (i.e. tntfireworks.com/x)? Is there another way around this that maybe I'm missing?

We are using the Web Content Filter and Allow-List Bookmarks setting.

Thanks very much in advance!

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look at this document.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Content_Filtering#Using_...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks for this, it seemed promising but ultimately did not work.

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you're getting issues on iOS 16.4.1, I believe this issue lies unfortunately with Apple, a quick Google will show other MDM users experiencing issues with the iOS Content Filtering profile on iOS 16.4.1.

To learn more about how the iOS Content Filtering payload should be configured, see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depc77c9609/web. The "URL structure and examples" section outlines how wildcards & URL structure works.

newman
Conversationalist

hi Connor,

Thank you for the reply. The iPad I was working on was on 16.4.1 and I updated it to 16.5 and it still did not resolve the issue. I'm not sure that this can be done as is, but it's good to at least get an idea as to what may be causing the issue! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels