Meraki Systems Manager installation on Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

jbright
A model citizen

Meraki Systems Manager installation on Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

Does the Meraki Systems Manager agent (the latest being version 4.0) support MS Windows Server 2016 or higher?

When I try to install it on Server 2016 or Server 2019, I get the following error:

fail.png

I have opened a TAC case and the TAC engineer keeps repeating that the agent is not supported on Windows 10 21H1 (and prior). I get that it does not support older versions of Windows 10. Does this apply to the Server 2016+ OS?

11 Replies 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The documentation doesn't explicitly mention whether this applies to Windows Server 2016 or higher, but the answer is probably no.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Other_Topics/Systems_Manager_FAQ#:~:text=What%20platforms%20does....

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
jbright
A model citizen

The data sheet for the Meraki Systems Manager specifically says that Server 2016+ is supported. 

Systems Manager Datasheet 

Look at page 6 of the datasheet.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I understand, so you already knew the answer, did you try to download the agent directly from the server?
Does your server have the latest updates installed?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I have tried to load the agent directly on machines running Server 2016 and Server 2019, all patched to the latest versions. I get the same error message. It appears the 4.0 agent does not understand that Server 2016+ is not Windows 10, even though they share a lot of the same code under the hood. The other question is when was the SM data sheet written, there is no date on it.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried with another version of SM?

I would if I could, but the Meraki Dashboard will only allow me to download the latest version, which is 4.0

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can under Systems Manager > Configure > General.

alemabrahao_0-1709065306604.png

Thanks for that advice! I downloaded version 3.8.2 and it installed with no issue on Server 2019. So it appears that version 4.0 may have a bug or it no longer supports Server 2016+

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Great to know. 😄

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Systems_Manager_Agent_Release_Notes

• [Update] Dropped support for operating systems: Win10 21H1 (and prior) and macOS Mojave 10.14 (and prior).

That is probably the reason why even tho there is no mention of Windows Server.

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @jbright ,

Thank you for bringing this up, the warning you're seeing is correct - version 4.0+ of the agent requires Windows 10 22H2 (OS build 19045) and above or Windows Server 2022.

I have asked the team to update the Supported Operating Systems KB to reflect this, there's also a request to improve the error that is displayed (to include a specific callout for Windows Server). For Windows Server 2016/2019, you'll need to remain on agent version 3.8.2. 

Cheers,

Connor

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels