MacOS - Enable Remote DESKTOP Command

Colin31
Conversationalist

MacOS - Enable Remote DESKTOP Command

Has Meraki MDM implemented this command from apple

Use MDM to enable Remote Management in macOS - Apple Support

to allow apple macs to be accessed remotely using Remote Desktop tools on another computer without having to manually turn it on in system preferences for every mac.

Looking online it doesn't seem like this is a profile option that can be pushed out.

(this used to be possible via command tool using kickstart command but this has been blocked on new OS versions)

If so could you point me to where I find it as there doesn't seem to be any documentation around how to apply the command to an ADE managed Mac.

The meraki Remote desktop Beta is a little to unreliable and lacks some feature so I'd rather use apple's remote desktop tools to support the devices.

7 Replies 7
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Meraki Systems Manager doesn't use the inbuilt Remote Desktop capability for the client devices, as this is only available to Apple's own Remote Desktop (more about that here: https://support.apple.com/en-sg/guide/remote-desktop/welcome/Mac)

So users will still (and likely always) have to enable screen sharing (which isn't Remote Desktop) before admins will be able to remote in.

Colin31
Conversationalist

Thanks for the update.

The implication from other MDM providers is that using this apple command allows screen sharing to be turned on remotely with out any end user interaction. This would save hours of time when support labs of mac's in schools by allowing the use of apple remote desktop

If this is not in the road map for implementation please could it be looked into.

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I read this through this again, and understand the utility of being able to enable / disable Remote Desktop, not just for you, but other customers too. Therefore, I've created a feature request for you. 

Any update on this feature request? 

Is there any update on this?

ArtM
Here to help

I'm in a school setting and have been looking for an update as well. Seems other MDM's have this possible. I'll post what support tells me.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Colin31 This is only a command, you should be able to deploy it using the shell script option in systems manager. 

The command I run via Jamf is 

#!/bin/sh
/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -configure -allowAccessFor -specifiedUsers
/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -configure -allowAccessFor -allUsers -privs -all

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels